Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 32bit vs. 64bit (Read 9590 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

I have made a test here with latest rareware bundles, with Win7_x64.
Happens that both 32 and 64 bit encode at the same speed (~50x here), so I was wondering what's the point?

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #1
Have you checked that the encoded files are bit identical?

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #2
In this particular case, there's no point.

But e.g. in Linux 64 you can have a pure x64 system without having all 32bit mode libraries.

In Windows 64, no matter you want it or not, you will always have all 32bit mode libraries installed, so which binary to use is just a matter of convenience.

At the same time some 64bit applications work noticeably faster than their 32bit versions, but it seems like it's not the case with lame encoder.

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #3
pdg, no, the files are not bit-identical... I have noticed that in ReplayGain, the track peaks are a bit higher (on 64 encodes)...
But I think birdie has got the point right, Win7_x64 is not yet a pure 64-bit system, so relevance is little.
It's funny though,how  the encoding speed for LAME32 is identical to its 64 counterpart.

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #4
Then they did nothing to optimize the code for 64-bit.  One example I can give of a speed boost is video encoding.  I got a ~20% encoding speed difference going from x86 software to x64.  Of course everything in the chain must be a 64-bit binary (avisynth, avisynth filters, x264).  Windows 7 IS a 64-bit OS.  They ADDED support to run 32-bit applications.  They didn't cheap out on making it do what 64-bit is all about, properly.  It's the real deal.

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #5
LAME has a lot of assembler optimizations. I think that's the main reason.

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #6
I don't understand why you say check to see if the encodings are bit identical, how could they be? The lame algorithm won't result in the same file each time, it does it's best but will not be bit identical. Or are you saying that running lame on the same source twice results in identical results? I thought not.

LAME 32bit vs. 64bit

Reply #7
Or are you saying that running lame on the same source twice results in identical results? I thought not.

The same LAME binary given the same input file better produce bit-identical outputs when run twice.  We believe in determinism in this household! 
Creature of habit.