Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Relative paths in playlists? (Read 9700 times) previous topic - next topic

Relative paths in playlists?

I noticed one of the changes in v1.0 was that the Media Library stored relative paths, so that when your drive letter changes in portable mode, it doesn't cause issues.  However, playlists still use absolute paths, which forces me to recreate all my playlists if my drive letter changes.  I've solved this by changing it manually to L: on all the machines I use, but true drive-letter portability across the board would be nice.

Reply #1
Playlists have always used relative paths when that is possible. Try to save a playlist for example to the root of your media path to see.

Reply #2
Playlists have always used relative paths when that is possible. Try to save a playlist for example to the root of your media path to see.

I wasn't referring to exported playlists, I was talking about the .fpl playlists used by the UI, which a quick hexedit session reveals store entries with absolute paths.

Reply #3
Portable installs now remember Media Library paths relatively to the install folder

Reply #4
Right, Media Library paths are relative now.  I already knew that and even stated it in the original post.  However, when you drag a file from the library into a playlist, it's stored in the .fpl file with an absolute path.  That's the issue here.

Reply #5
Sorry, I didn't noticed that you mentioned portable mode, so that's why I replied
It seems that it's like you are saying, media library is stored relatively but playlists items are with absolute path

Reply #6
Ouch. Thats a bad news, since I've got about 50 playlists right now, and I have to format this drive pretty soon and drive letter will probably change in the future. Recreating those playlists would be really hard, if possible.

Reply #7
So save them as .m3u or .m3u8 on the portable drive somewhere as needed.

I can see how this would be annoying although it seems autoplaylists work without a hitch, so considering my usage patterns,  if I had to use fb2k as portable, I probably honestly wouldn't be that annoyed.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #8
So save them as .m3u or .m3u8 on the portable drive somewhere as needed.

I can see how this would be annoying although it seems autoplaylists work without a hitch, so considering my usage patterns,  if I had to use fb2k as portable, I probably honestly wouldn't be that annoyed.

Yeah, saving as .m3u would be fine, except foobar won't use them natively, you have to import them to use them as far as I know, thus creating an .fpl file in the playlists directory.  It'd be better if it stored relative paths natively in the .fpl file, this way when your drive letter changes they still work without having to rebuild/re-import all your playlists.

Thanks for the autoplaylist tip though, I'll use that for now.

Reply #9
I was just thinking. foo_playlist_revive might be helpful in this situation until (if) this is fixed.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10
Great find, shakey_snake!  Thanks!

Now between this and autoplaylists, this should be more than enough to hold me over until FPLs support relative paths natively.

Reply #11
It'd be better if it stored relative paths natively in the .fpl file, this way when your drive letter changes they still work without having to rebuild/re-import all your playlists.

I do absolutely agree!!! The new function 'relative file paths for the media-library source' is fine, i was missing this in the previous version.
But, it doesn't make much sense if there is not an analogue function for the foobar Playlist files *.fpl !?!?
Scenario: I have a big music collection on my external drive, taking it to a party pluggin it into a local notebook und just want to start my collecion of playlists embedded in my playlistsview as FPL-lists. The mediaLibrary will now be read correctly, but because of absolute paths left in the fpl-files, i wont be able to quick-play them
Hard working source codeR: wie need the possibility to "use relative paths for internal foobarPlaylists when the foobar application file is near the MediaLibrary files" !!!

I was just thinking. foo_playlist_revive might be helpful in this situation until (if) this is fixed.

Yeah, that sounds like a great temporary solution. I will try this, using absolute paths und will run this addon when i'm on a next party - hoping not constantly having to convert my playlists that way oder saving each playlist as an m3u and re-import them!

Reply #12

Hey guys, how is the progress?

Hard working source codeR: wie need the possibility to "use relative paths for internal foobarPlaylists when the foobar application file is near the MediaLibrary files" !!!

The Version 1.1 did unfortunatly not fixed that  What a pity..

Reply #13
This may be related to another relative paths problem, where Peter's Playback Statistics loses data for files when moved from/in relative paths...

Reply #14
When talking about relative paths, I would like to request relative path to codec folder, too, when using convert function in portable mode.
(Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> Converter > Additional command-line enconder paths)

Reply #15
Any encoders placed in the install folder will be automatically detected.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #17
Hey guys, how is the progress?

The Version 1.1 did unfortunatly not fixed that  What a pity..

The feature seems to have been implemented. Nice

Quote from: Changelog link=msg=0 date=
v1.0.2
    *  Portable install: playlists now reference files by paths relative to the parent folder of the foobar2000 installation folder.

but right, the Playback Statistics are Lost. Well, not that worse..

THANKS for that great Work

Reply #18
Playback Statistics v3.0+ pin the data based on tags and not files and are immune to that kind of problems.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #19
Playback Statistics v3.0+ pin the data based on tags and not files and are immune to that kind of problems.

Okay, interesting!
But one question: does v3.0+ set the File-Change-Date-Time Information of MP3-files when adding rating tags?

Reply #20
Playback Statistics save this kind of information only to its own database and don't change the files (well unless you enable this in Advanced preferences).
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.