Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hard Drive where I stored all my music "died"... (Read 5575 times) previous topic - next topic

Hard Drive where I stored all my music "died"...

[The hard drive where I has all my music stored "died". I did not even get a chance to transfer any data before this happened]
Q: Is it possible to used this plugin [or something else in Foobar] to transfer all my music on my IPod Classic to my hard drive? I believe this would be a "reverse sync". Any ideas? I know this is possible in Window Media Player [for example].

[I posted this in the foo_dop section, but I thought this idea of doing a "reverse sync" might be something other members have already done]

Reply #1
[The hard drive where I has all my music stored "died". I did not even get a chance to transfer any data before this happened]
Q: Is it possible to used this plugin [or something else in Foobar] to transfer all my music on my IPod Classic to my hard drive? I believe this would be a "reverse sync". Any ideas? I know this is possible in Window Media Player [for example].

[I posted this in the foo_dop section, but I thought this idea of doing a "reverse sync" might be something other members have already done]

Don't know about this plugin, but easy to do in general. Just google "transfer music from iPod"

Reply #2
yup you should be able to do that but the file structure of the restore might be a little messy.

File > iPod > load library then select all files and then right click > file operations > copy to > .... and then use foobars title formatting to try and recreate your original file structure.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
yup you should be able to do that but the file structure of the restore might be a little messy.

File > iPod > load library then select all files and then right click > file operations > copy to > .... and then use foobars title formatting to try and recreate your original file structure.

Yes. One thing I am worried about is preserving my original folder/file hierarchy/structure as much as possible. i.e. D:\iPod\My Music\U2\[2014] Songs of Innocence\01. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) is one example.

Reply #4
Yes. One thing I am worried about is preserving my original folder/file hierarchy/structure as much as possible. i.e. D:\iPod\My Music\U2\[2014] Songs of Innocence\01. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) is one example.

If your tags are complete this is simple to recreate with only a couple of mouse clicks with  foobar2000 or mp3tag.

Reply #5

If your tags are complete this is simple to recreate with only a couple of mouse clicks with  foobar2000 or mp3tag.

Unfortunately, I know very little about Foobar. I knew just enough to use it to sync my music to my iPod. I really need a step-by-step guide to do this reverse sync and preserve the folder/file structure, etc.

Reply #6

Unfortunately, I know very little about Foobar. I knew just enough to use it to sync my music to my iPod. I really need a step-by-step guide to do this reverse sync and preserve the folder/file structure, etc.

Did you google as I suggested? Lots of step by step instructions available to recover files.

Reply #7

Did you google as I suggested? Lots of step by step instructions available to recover files.

This one [iExplorer] and this one [Houdini] don't seem to indicate if you can preserve the file/folder hierarchy.

Reply #8

When I do "File>iPod>Load library" nothing appears. Right-click on iPod provides a number of options including "Manage Contents" and "File System Explorer". "File System Explorer" displays a number of things. It's not clear which one to right-click [or maybe right-click on anyone will do the trick]. And, there is the matter of formatting.

EDIT: I just tried "File System Explorer" and right-click[ed] on "Ipod_Control>Music" and used "Copy to...". The results were just the music files and no folder hierarchy whatsoever.

Reply #9
Windows Media Player successfully transferred all my music to my hard drive. However... Every music file now has duplicate track numbers in front of the song title. i.e. 01. 01. A Hard Day's Night
In the iPod Manager>Database>Title, I have "%tracknumber%, %title%". I do this so that I always have a track number displaying on my iPod. It has always worked fine.
This is a disaster if I have to repeat the sync. With almost 100GB of music, it take hours to do the sync. Any idea? Do I need to start over again?

EDIT: I should add that both WMP and Foobar display the track numbers properly [no duplicates]. It is only the actual music file names on the hard drive that have duplicate track numbers for every song!

Reply #10
Windows Media Player successfully transferred all my music to my hard drive. However... Every music file now has duplicate track numbers in front of the song title. i.e. 01. 01. A Hard Day's Night
In the iPod Manager>Database>Title, I have "%tracknumber%, %title%". I do this so that I always have a track number displaying on my iPod. It has always worked fine.
This is a disaster if I have to repeat the sync. With almost 100GB of music, it take hours to do the sync. Any idea? Do I need to start over again?

EDIT: I should add that both WMP and Foobar display the track numbers properly [no duplicates]. It is only the actual music file names on the hard drive that have duplicate track numbers for every song!

No need to sync again. You just need to reorganize and rename using tag info. It is very easy to do in a batch with mp3tag, using convert-tag to filename option. See
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#ttf
Foobar2000 has something similar.

Reply #11

No need to sync again. You just need to reorganize and rename using tag info. It is very easy to do in a batch with mp3tag, using convert-tag to filename option. See

Thx! I finally considered doing this too. Although, after doing this, when I synchronize the music on my hard drive with my iPod with Foobar, it is going to delete all of my music on the iPod and then re-add it because the files have been modified? Maybe this is not so bad - just very time consuming.

EDIT: Actually, because all of my music was "effectively deleted" when I lost my hard drive, Foobar would want to delete all of the music on my iPod and re-add it because all of the music "had changed"?

Reply #12

Thx! I finally considered doing this too. Although, after doing this, when I synchronize the music on my hard drive with my iPod with Foobar, it is going to delete all of my music on the iPod and then re-add it because the files have been modified? Maybe this is not so bad - just very time consuming.

Yes, a hassle. But then again you're lucky you have the files from your iPod. You really should have had at least one backup of your files on your computer. And you should do this once you have everything fixed.

Reply #13
[/quote]

Yes, a hassle. But then again you're lucky you have the files from your iPod. You really should have had at least one backup of your files on your computer. And you should do this once you have everything fixed.
[\quote]
I am familiar with Tag&Rename and so I am trying to use this. I selected every MP3 [in the "My Music" folder] and clicked on "Preview". It's been running for about 10 minutes. I hope it's not "hung"...

EDIT: Just my luck, it seems to be "hanging". I have never used it for so many files as the same time. This is such a PIT! The software I am familiar with and have used a lot seemingly can't handle so many files? It keeps hanging

Reply #14
It's actually worse then I thought. It seems as if every song title in the entire collection, the "Title" tag, includes the track number in the beginning. I am renaming all of music using just the "Title" tag [if Tag&Rename will let me]. But, after that, I will still have to rename all the files as well.
It might just be simpler to start all over??

Yeh, it seems bad. I now have a collection where some song titles have the track number and some don't: messy.

EDIT: Maybe If I change the database on the iPod, where at the moment, iPod Manager>Database>Title, is "%tracknumber%, %title%" and change it to simply "Title" [or blank]? I am not sure how to do this, but I know it is possible. After this, WMP might tag everything correctly when it is transferring all of the music to the collection on the hard drive? Big ifs...

EDIT2: I really wish this forum would let me know if we are cross-posting??

Reply #15
It's actually worse then I thought. It seems as if every song title in the entire collection, the "Title" tag, includes the track number in the beginning. I am renaming all of music using just the "Title" tag [if Tag&Rename will let me]. But, after that, I will still have to rename all the files as well.

Yeh, it seems bad. I now have a collection where some song titles have the track number and some don't.

Once again, I could fix all this in a matter of minutes with mp3tag and convert - tag to filename with appropriate settings as illustrated, with examples, in the prior link I posted.

Reply #16

Yeh, it seems bad. I now have a collection where some song titles have the track number and some don't.

Once again, I could fix all this in a matter of minutes with mp3tag and convert - tag to filename with appropriate settings as illustrated, with examples, in the prior link I posted.

But, if the song titles are mixed: some with just the title [correct] and some with the track number as part of the song title [incorrect]? I would need to "eyeball" these to figure out which to fix and which to ignore? And, then there are the file name fixes too?

Reply #17

But, if the song titles are mixed: some with just the title [correct] and some with the track number as part of the song title [incorrect]? I would need to "eyeball" these to figure out which to fix and which to ignore? And, then there are the file name fixes too?

Are you saying the title tag has the track number in it?  (Seems odd given that there is already a track tag) so Not just the filename?  If so, you are right. Same action won't work for all files. Maybe you can filter the files first by sorting on title. That may break the listing some what naturally.

Reply #18

Are you saying the title tag has the track number in it?  (Seems odd given that there is already a track tag) so Not just the filename?  If so, you are right. Same action won't work for all files. Maybe you can filter the files first by sorting on title. That may break the listing some what naturally.

Yeh, this is why I am thinking that it might be better to start over and use Foobar and the iPod Manager plug-in. It's just getting the syntax right. IOW, so you not only transfer the music, but get the file/folder structure preserved as well. And, even in the foo_dop forum, it's hard to make sure that you have the correct syntax

EDIT: I figured out how to change the database so "Title" is simply the song title [I think]. And, I am now copying everything again once more from iPod to hard drive. Fingers-crossed!