Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: random pools died overnight (Read 6116 times) previous topic - next topic

random pools died overnight

I've been using foo_random_pools to add songs to my random playlist with a probability based on their rating, and foo_removeplayed to... remove them after playing.

This has been working perfectly for the past few months, until a few days ago when foobar suddenly froze after a song had played.
I restarted foobar, skipped to the next song and again it froze.
I then added a few extra songs to the playlist and as I expected I could skip songs just fine, until I got past the 4 song threshold I set in random pools. It attempted to add a song and froze.

I have tried copying the foobar settings to a different pc, and the exact same thing happened.
My main PC has foobar v1.3.1, the other one has 1.3.7
foo_random_pools is v0.1.3

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply #1
First, let me ask some questions:

- Could you please provide the settings for your random pools?
- Does this problem also occur, if "Add, when the playlist has X items or less" is set to 0 and "Add, when the playback position is X items or less from the end" is
set to a value other than 0?

Reply #2
- Does this problem also occur, if "Add, when the playlist has X items or less" is set to 0 and "Add, when the playback position is X items or less from the end" is
set to a value other than 0?

It still happens using those settings

these were my original settings, using different not last played and priority values for lower ratings.

or did you want the cfg file?

Reply #3
Yes, as I cannot reproduce the described problem with the shown settings, please provide me the cfg file.

Reply #5
Yes, that one. I uploaded a new version, which fixed a problem, if no matching pool was found. Even if this is not the problem in your case, the new version should also fix your problem.

Actually I don't see any other possibility for your problem than that no matching pool was found. On the other hand your pool definitions should always lead to a matching pool, if at least one file has a rating and it was not played between the last 6 to 48 hours (depending on the rating value). Therefore you should check, if you lost your ratings and statistics for some reason.

Be aware, if your problem occurs because of no matching pools and you have a huge library it might need a few seconds per pool to check, wether it is matching or not. As you have 25 pools to be checked, it could last about one minute to check all pools. During this time foobar2000 is in a non-responsive state (I should consider to overcome this behavior in the next version. Actually it is already on the todo list since at least two years).

One last thing: You defined for each rating value five pools with the same definitions. Why did you do that? Normally it should be sufficient to define only one pool for each rating value to get the same result.

Reply #6
That update won't install for me when I use foobar's component updater function. Error message says:

Could not load component "c663b5e2c5857822a8d97aafe925ce52a35a354d.zip": Unsupported format or corrupted file

I am using foobar 1.3.7.

Reply #7
That update won't install for me when I use foobar's component updater function. Error message says:

Could not load component "c663b5e2c5857822a8d97aafe925ce52a35a354d.zip": Unsupported format or corrupted file

I am using foobar 1.3.7.

Confirm.
Foo_random_pools.zip downloaded from http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_random_pools not contains foo_random_pools.dll.

Reply #8
Confirm.
Foo_random_pools.zip downloaded from http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_random_pools not contains foo_random_pools.dll.
It does contain a file called foo_random_pools,
7zip gives me an "unsupported compression method" error.

As for the duplicate pools, I used a guide I found somewhere in a thread that appears to have been deleted.
If I recall correctly, it had something to do with being able to queue multiple songs of the same rating.
I pretty much blindly followed the guide though, so maybe it's not needed at all.

Reply #9
Sorry, please download the component again.

Reply #10
As for the duplicate pools, I used a guide I found somewhere in a thread that appears to have been deleted. If I recall correctly, it had something to do with being able to queue multiple songs of the same rating. I pretty much blindly followed the guide though, so maybe it's not needed at all.
No, it's not needed and you won't get multiple songs of the same rating this way. To achieve this in your case, you need to increase the number of tracks to add in the limit block on the right side of the dialog.

Reply #11
Sorry, please download the component again.

Edit: it crashed 7zip
edit 2: it did extract it, but when I overwrote the files in */user-components/foo_random_pools and tried to open foobar it said
Failed to load DLL: foo_random_pools.dll
Reason: Ongeldige toegang tot geheugenlocatie.  (invalid access to memory location in Dutch)

Reply #12
That's very strange. I tested the archive before uploading it and it was ok, but after downloading it again the archive is corrupted. I'll get in contact with Peter.

Meanwhile you can download this file [attachment=8177:foo_random_pools.zip]

Reply #13
Ok, it doesn't crash anymore, but it doesn't add any new songs either now, which was the thing causing the crashes/freezes.
All my songs (600ish) are rated and I can add them manually just fine.
Random pools just doesn't seem to work now.

Reply #14
All my songs (600ish) are rated and I can add them manually just fine.
Do you mean, with manually, that you can add files by selecting one specific pool or just by adding them directly to the playlist?
Random pools just doesn't seem to work now.
No, it works perfectly here. The reason, that it is not working for you, must be related to your configuration and files. Please try the following:
Add a pool with the following settings:
Name: anything you like
Group: %all%
Number of tracks to add: 3
Priortiy: 20
Leave all other fields as there are.

If you now select File -> "Random pools" -> "All pools" 3 tracks should be added to your playlist.

Please, check also your entries for %last_played%. Besides the rating they need to match the specified filters, too.

Reply #15
Do you mean, with manually, that you can add files by selecting one specific pool or just by adding them directly to the playlist?
I mean I can manually add files to the playlist (File > Add files)
Please try the following:
Add a pool with the following settings:
Name: anything you like
Group: %all%
Number of tracks to add: 3
Priortiy: 20
Leave all other fields as there are.

If you now select File -> "Random pools" -> "All pools" 3 tracks should be added to your playlist.

Please, check also your entries for %last_played%. Besides the rating they need to match the specified filters, too.

The new pool does nothing. Selecting "All pools" or even the test pool I made using your settings in File > Random pools does literally nothing.
I haven't listened to more than a few manually added songs in the past week, so almost all songs should be allowed to play according to the %last_played% values.

Reply #16
And what happens if you go: Main Menu > Library > Search and paste the following in the search box?
Code: [Select]
NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 6 HOURS

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #17
And what happens if you go: Main Menu > Library > Search and paste the following in the search box?
Code: [Select]
NOT %last_played% DURING LAST 6 HOURS

C.

It's greyed out   

Reply #18
Yes, I assumed that either your library wasn't being monitored or your database/tags had become corrupted. Thus a failed search highlights a problem unrelated to random pools.
Glad you got it sorted.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)