Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About .ape files (Read 13759 times) previous topic - next topic

About .ape files

i have a .ape file which contains a complete album. I would like to separate each track and then to transcode them to mp3 (if i can). Does anyone know how can i do this two things??

thank u very much.

(i almost forget it. I'm using Windows xp)   

About .ape files

Reply #1
i have a .ape file which contains a complete album. I would like to separate each track and then to transcode them to mp3 (if i can). Does anyone know how can i do this two things??

thank u very much.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371360"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd also like to know as well. Also using Windows XP.

Also, what programs convert .ape to .flac?

About .ape files

Reply #2
foobar2000 using the Converter. You'll need a cue file to split it into individual tracks.

About .ape files

Reply #3
Or, simply decompress it, then split it into tracks in any reasonable audio editor.

About .ape files

Reply #4
You could do that too, I guess. Or make a cue file manually.

About .ape files

Reply #5
So if I have CDImage.cue and CDImage.ape, I can just load it up in foobar and click convert and it will split the files?

What other programs do this?

What other programs convert to .flac?

How would I burn this to a CD? Will it be identical to my source CD?

About .ape files

Reply #6
So if I have CDImage.cue and CDImage.ape, I can just load it up in foobar and click convert and it will split the files?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely, this is what I do all the time.

What other programs do this?

No idea, actually. There are lots of programs that can convert audio files, but the problem is finding one that will accept an image and cue sheet as input. Maybe Winamp can do it? But I'm just guessing here.

What other programs convert to .flac?

Do you mean going from CDImage.ape to CDImage.flac? Lots of programs should be able to do this: [a href="http://www.dbpoweramp.com/]dMC[/url], Frontah, Speek's Multi frontend, UniversalFront and possibly many others (maybe you can even do this with the Monkey's Audio or FLAC frontends). However, I don't know of any utility that will also automatically change the link to the image in the corresponding cue sheet, so you will still have to do this manually. Using the "replace in files" function of any decent text editor should do the trick.

How would I burn this to a CD?

I recommend EAC for this. If you have Monkey's Audio installed, you can simply load the CUE sheet in EAC and start burning.

Will it be identical to my source CD?

Assuming the image was ripped properly in the first place, yes.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

About .ape files

Reply #7
foobar with the Diskwriter (0.8.3) or Converter (0.9) component is probably the easiest way.

However, another really useful application that can split images is ACDIR.  It understands Monkey's Audio, Wavpack, FLAC and WAVE, and can split using the embedded cuesheet for APE and WV files (I don't think it can for FLAC, you need an external cuesheet).

ACDIR is a command line application, and is used by REACT to create the track files.

I have a guide for splitting APE files using foobar 0.8.3 and ACDIR.
I'm on a horse.

About .ape files

Reply #8
Thanks guys for your replies.

Learned a few things about foobar that I didn't know existed! (Even more sad that I've been using it for so long)

Will definately tryout the programs for converting to .flac and splitting the .ape files.

Not too long before foobar 0.9 final!

About .ape files

Reply #9

thank u very much.

About .ape files

Reply #10
@TeenSpirits
Download and install this.
Use the 'MakeAPL' program to virtually split the .ape file.
Then download this and copy lame.exe to your 'Monkey's Audio\External' folder, which would most probably be in your 'Program Files'.
Now run 'Monkey's Audio', select Convert on the first icon, on second icon select external->lame->lame. Then select the configure option in this menu and type in your desired lame encoding setting (like -V4 --vbr-new).
Now click on add files and add all the .apl files, you have created, when you used 'MakeAPL'. Finally click on the first icon, which shoul now read 'convert'.
Wait and that should be it. I think the program puts encoded mp3s in the same directory, where the .apl files are. If you wanna be sure, set it before doing anything of the above.

Good luck.

P.S.: It's not really nice to completely repeat yourself like you did... Next time just tell us, you are not satisfied with any answer so far...
lame -V 0

About .ape files

Reply #11
TeenSpirits,

No need to post your question again.  The answers in this thread do refer to your original question, as well as takt's.

NB: all options (foobar, ACDIR, MakeAPL) require a cuesheet for you to be able to split your .ape file.  Do you have one?  Have you looked at any of these programs?
I'm on a horse.

About .ape files

Reply #12
Yeah, I'd just drop the cuesheet into foobar and use the diskwriter.

It's possible that a cuesheet is embedded into the file, and if that's the case, foobar may be able to read it.

If you can't find a cuesheet, you can probably use cuesheet heaven, which has a collection of cuesheets, and also can generate cuesheets by using freedb data.

Here's the URL:
http://www.regeert.nl/cuesheet/

About .ape files

Reply #13
Not to ursurp this thread, but.....

How can I convert an APE image to a FLAC image with Foobar while retaining all the metadata?  I tried to load a .ape image into foobar and it doesn't recognize the format.  Is there an ape plugin I'm missing?

Robert

About .ape files

Reply #14
Not to ursurp this thread, but.....

How can I convert an APE image to a FLAC image with Foobar while retaining all the metadata?   I tried to load a .ape image into foobar and it doesn't recognize the format.   Is there an ape plugin I'm missing?

Robert
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379275"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Probably.  For version 0.9, the Monkey's Audio component is not included with the installer, and you have to get it from the "Components" link on the foobar2000 homepage (foobar2000.org).

About .ape files

Reply #15
You should just be able to take your single ape file, and use converter to convert it to FLAC.  I haven't played with 0.9 very much yet, but if you can find the components to support the codecs, it should preserve the tags.

If you've got a cuesheet, you can just use a text editor to change the filename to the appropriate one.