Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New LAME logo - results (Read 46055 times) previous topic - next topic

New LAME logo - results

Reply #50
I like it, but it looks a *lot* like the Ableton Live logo
It´s nice but it looks like the Ableton´s Live logo

I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #51

Oh, for Christ's sake, who is LAME wanting to be competitive with? It's an open-source non-profit project. If everybody uses it, great. If nobody uses it, patience, it won't make much of a difference to the developers.

When I proposed this idea to the developers, I only wanted an image to be associated with the lame project, it's not some sort of über representational message meant to put all other logos to shame.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=335692"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it's not that important how it looks, why even hold a contest?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you failed to mention what exactly do you think it is wrong with it? 
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

New LAME logo - results

Reply #53
I like the new logo a lot! 
It is smooth & fresh and pleseants my eyes 
I think the developers where right, choosing this one, as the new lame logo!

New LAME logo - results

Reply #54
Ah ah funny Guru... I guess your comparison is made easier since you must know the old french TGV logo joke (same wild animal when inverted!)
Cheers!

New LAME logo - results

Reply #55
If it's not that important how it looks, why even hold a contest?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336199"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is important how it looks. We don't want a godawful logo for LAME.

But it's not important enough to justify paying for a graphic designer that would probably come up with a logo uglier than what we got for free.

It's not like paid-for graphic designers have the monopoly on creativity and taste.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #56
Are any larger images available?

I already asked Samwell to provide higher resolution images and/or vectorial versions. He said he'll send them to me "soon".

What was the typeface that was used inside the 'e'?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336219"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You'll have to ask him...

New LAME logo - results

Reply #57
I already asked Samwell to provide higher resolution images and/or vectorial versions. He said he'll send them to me "soon".
I know Samwell has a lot on at the moment. He is on the case.  I'm keeping him updated about this thread.

What was the typeface that was used inside the 'e'?
You'll have to ask him...
I'd be interested to know why.  I really hope that people aren't going to start coming up with their own unofficial variations and confusing the LAME brand before it's even got established...
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #58
rjamorim: Thank you. I think that sounds good.

Synthetic Soul: I was trying to come up with a big version myself. I could have made an almost exact replica in SVG or XCF if I just knew the typeface.

edit: if I had the typeface myself too, that is. And I would have to know and have the typeface used for the letters below the 'e'.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #59
Synthetic Soul: I was trying to come up with a big version myself. I could have made an almost exact replica in SVG or XCF if I just new the typeface.
I would just wait for the LAME devs/Roberto to release the official/correct logo in various formats.  I don't see much point in developing one which is unofficial - in fact I think it would be harmful to the LAME brand.  Not "ooh scary" harmful... but "cloudy" harmful.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #61
Here's a sample. It was based on Gabriel's avatar, not samwell's submission, so it has some colour gradients:

http://my.netian.com/~cajunlee/newlame_large_preview.png
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Either the site is down or really slow, I gave up after a couple minutes of waiting.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #62
IMO, there should be created a certain amount of low-rez and hi-rez versions that are available for download.

That way people won't create their 'own' version to fullfill their needs. It would prevent unnecessary variations floating around.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #63
And no doubt there will be - developers will need to be able to download the logo so that they can use it in their apps.

Perhaps members could just wait more than five days before demanding it.

Edit: scary spelling mistake
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #64
Hi All,

Finally I break my silence.  I've been hiding in my luxury, designer bunker until the backlash subsided.  Is it safe yet? 

I'm really pleased that my logo has been chosen to represent Lame.  I hope it serves the community well.

I am in the process of preparing the files to send to Gabriel and Roberto.  I'm also going to give some guidelines on how to use it.  Not to be the brand police, but help to ensure that the logo and Lame brand (I use the term losely) are represented in a consistent manner across all applications.

I'm glad the logo has caused some reactions.  Better than no reaction any day.  My philosophy as a designer is simplicity and that less is more.  This usually results in a timeless logo, rather than something flashy that will date quickly.

The comments that it is similar to Quark and Ableton are interesting.  This wasn't intentional, to be honest I don't even use quark so have never seen the logo.  There are definate similarities in all the logos though, I agree.  They are all simple, legible, use flat colours (no effects etc) and are all quietly confident, not trying to hard to be anything but a well designed and tasteful logo.

Not everyone will like the logo, some of you will hate it, but I hope over time most of you love it.

I'll leave Gabe and Roberto to distribute as they see fit.

Thanks again.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #66
Well, I guess you have got you way in many respects anyway. Samwell is emailing a selection of files (AI, EPS, PDF) to Roberto as we speak.

Roberto, I gave Samwell the email address that in on the Rarewares About page, I hope that's not a problem?
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #67
Well, I guess you have got you way in many respects anyway. Samwell is emailing a selection of files (AI, EPS, PDF) to Roberto as we speak.

Roberto, I gave Samwell the email address that in on the Rarewares About page, I hope that's not a problem?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336304"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I gave him the same e-mail address before

All my e-mail addresses are public. rjamorim@yahoo.com, roberto@rjamorim.com, rjamorim@onda.com.br... you choose it.

I just got the logos on my e-mail. I'll upload them to the LAME page soon.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #68
And thirty minutes is way too long to wait for an email message that has presumably been sent, IMHO.

A note to the Musepack logo contest authorities: Get high-res/vector images before the announcement.

AI files for the designers and SVG files for the open-source geeks would be a nice feature too.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #69
And thirty minutes is way too long to wait for an email message that has presumably been sent, IMHO. [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't fight, Children!

I just uploaded the vectorial images to Lame before we have a bloodshed here.
[a href="http://lame.sourceforge.net/images/]http://lame.sourceforge.net/images/[/url]

Samwell provided the logos in EPS and AI formats. I wanted to create SVGs, but I couldn't find the Gill Sans font freely available anywhere.

The other font, being used in the main logo, is Bauhaus 93:
http://www.themeworld.com/fonts/indexB4.shtml

Regards;

Roberto.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #70
Samwell provided the logos in EPS and AI formats. I wanted to create SVGs, but I couldn't find the Gill Sans font freely available anywhere.

As far as Samwell explained it, he had converted all text into paths, so that the fonts weren't required.  Maybe this is irrelevant to what you have said.  I never got past GIF and JPEG really.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #71
Not everyone will like the logo, some of you will hate it, but I hope over time most of you love it.

I'll leave Gabe and Roberto to distribute as they see fit.

Thanks for taking the time to do it!

New LAME logo - results

Reply #73
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your hard work..
>
> These SVG files were created in a braindead way
> because:
>
> 1. GIMP can't import AI or EPS as a vector path
> 2. Inkscape's AI loading was buggy
> 3. It's 4AM in Korea
>
> I loaded the AI file as a 16x magnified bitmap in
> GIMP, and selected regions with the colour-select
> tool. I converted selected regions into paths,
> exported the paths to SVG, and loaded them in
> Inkscape
> and filled them, with no stroking.
>
> Quality will be high, but filesizes will likely be
> suboptimal.

<snip>

I've mailed 3 SVG files to rjamorim's yahoo account.

RGB values used for green: 171 255 69
RGB values used for blue: 13 124 247

I dedicate these files to the public domain. (The logo design was meant to be in the public domain, according to the original thread.)

New LAME logo - results

Reply #74
I've mailed 3 SVG files to rjamorim's yahoo account.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=336350"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank-you!