Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DXD Playback in Foobar (Read 12005 times) previous topic - next topic

DXD Playback in Foobar

OK, I wanted to listen to some ultra high quality music files...so I obtained some from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the WAV file (which is DXD format) to playback in Foobar. Is there a plugin or method which I can use to do this? Foobar is usually able to play just about anything

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #1
You can play the DFF file on that site with this.

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #2
The DXD file is probably too high a sample rate for your sound output to play. You can probably listen to it by adding a resampler DSP to your playback DSP chain, setting the sample rate to something more manageable, like 192KHz.

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #3
OK thanks! I checked, and my NI Audio Kontrol is unable to play 24BIT/352.8kHz files. Resampling (to any KHz) results in a very bad sound quality.

However, I've now been able to listen to both the Stereo DFF DSD 64 2.8224Mbit/s and the Stereo WAV 24BIT/96kHz files - both sound equally high quality (rich, full of depth, clear) to me using my Sony MDR 7509 headphones. I guess the DFD file should sound better, but I need to listen more to decide if I can hear a difference

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #4
>> Resampling (to any KHz) results in a very bad sound quality.

Did you use foobar's resampler, or let the soundcard try to do it?

>> 352.8kHz

That extreme sample rate is purely for editing purposes, not for normal high-end listening. It will not increase your aural experience, save for the feelgood effect of knowing that you have eXtreme resolution.

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #5
>> Resampling (to any KHz) results in a very bad sound quality.

Did you use foobar's resampler, or let the soundcard try to do it?

I used Resampler PPHS DSP.

>> 352.8kHz

That extreme sample rate is purely for editing purposes, not for normal high-end listening. It will not increase your aural experience, save for the feelgood effect of knowing that you have eXtreme resolution.

Yeah, I imagine so! But still, it does have a feelgood effect, as you say

DXD Playback in Foobar

Reply #6
@TargetD
Make sure you read TOS #8.