Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to use EAC to encode with LAME? (Read 2499 times) previous topic - next topic

How to use EAC to encode with LAME?

Disclaimer:  You guys are gonna kill me by the time I ask all my questions.  Can't seem to get any of this thru my head.

I decided to use EAC as my LAME mp3 encoder of choice.  But...I'm not ripping CDs.  I just want to encode WAV files that are already on my computer.  I've tried dragging the files into EAC.  Not working! 

A little window comes up asking where the destination for the file will be.  It tells me the filename will be ignored.  Then it appears to be encoding the file, but nothing's there, when I look where it was supposed to save the MP3. 

On the left of EAC is a vertical row of icons: WAV, MP3, IMG, WRI.  But all of them are greyed out except WRI.  I'm guessing I want to select the MP3 icon, but how can I when it's greyed out?  Sorry to all of you who are familiar with EAC--I've never used it before.  I've read up + done Google searches, and still can't figure this out. 

Thank you!

Reply #1
Menu Item "Tools"/"Compress WAVs" might get you to where you want to be.

Reply #2
This might seem obvious, but have you configured the Lame encoder in EAC? You need to point EAC to where the Lame executable is for it to encode.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #3
Thanks, guys.  Yeah, the LAME MP3 .exe is there (and configured to Hydrogen Audio's recommendations), and also, I did try the "Tools/Compress Wavs"....I just don't understand why it's not creating/saving the MP3's anywhere.

Reply #4
Have you tried the LameDropXPd v2 application on rarewares.org?  It seems like the best tool for the job you're trying to do...

John