Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to batch convert cd images (wav+cue) to mp3? (Read 6258 times) previous topic - next topic

how to batch convert cd images (wav+cue) to mp3?

Hi,

I think REACT is the program I need, but I am very confused of all the REACT settings.

I had a ripped a bunch of cd's to the corresponding cd images (consisting of 1 wav file and 1 cue sheet). I have now a directory full of wavs and corresponding cue sheets.

I want that now to convert all those files in batch into mp3's (in the proper directories, and with the proper filenames as can be specified in eac,
like this \artist\album\01-trackname1-album.mp3).

How can I do that?

Thanks

Reply #1
REACT will do you no good now.

You could drag all the cuesheets into foobar, ensure the output string is correct (to get the file paths you want) and use Converter.

Alternatively, you could use ACDIR with a batchfile.  In fact, you may not even need a batch file - I think ACDIR will run from a list of cuesheets.

Are you familiar with foobar.  Are you familiar with command line applications?
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
REACT will do you no good now.

You could drag all the cuesheets into foobar, ensure the output string is correct (to get the file paths you want) and use Converter.

Alternatively, you could use ACDIR with a batchfile.  In fact, you may not even need a batch file - I think ACDIR will run from a list of cuesheets.

Are you familiar with foobar.  Are you familiar with command line applications?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354770"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Soul,

Thanks for answering,

No I am not familiar with foobar, but I will give it a try.
Why is REACT not a solution?
ACDIR seems very complex to me (like REACT), but if it needs only a list of cuesheets, that is not difficult, but how about the wanted filenames and directories?

Tx

Reply #3
REACT is used with EAC to rip to various formats.  If you have already ripped then you have passed the REACT stage.

foobar is well worth persevering with.  It is a superb audio tool.

ACDIR can look daunting.  However, if you are seen to try things yourself beforehand members here are very helpful, and you will get help with the command line required.

Shit, check my guide.

Edit:  I just checked, and I am right.  The --targets[/font] switch allows you to pass a list of cuesheets in a text file to ACDIR.
but if it needs only a list of cuesheets, that is not difficult, but how about the wanted filenames and directories?
I'm hoping that your cuesheets have TITLE/PERFORMER and REM information in them.  If so, both foobar and ACDIR can use the meta data to name and tag the files you create.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
Hi Soul,

Thanks a lot!

I tried foobar, and it does precisely what I want.

It is indeed very powerfull, but deceivingly simply at first, and very complex if you dig deeper!

It is a superb tool, the only thing I miss (right now) is real media support (.rm, .ram files), and the fact that there is no option to save your preferences (which is really necessary after tweaking so much settings).

Thanks a lot!!

bitje

Reply #5
Actually, there is an option to save preferences.  You can practically save everything in that program...

Reply #6
Thanks a lot!

I tried foobar, and it does precisely what I want.
No problem.  Welcome to the wonderful world of foobar.

It is indeed very powerfull, but deceivingly simply at first, and very complex if you dig deeper!
Yes.  I think the sparse interface puts some people off, and then when they start digging and seeing strings like "[%album artist% - ]%album%|[[%disc%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%" they run screaming.

However, as you say, foobar is really as complicated as you want to have it.  It's not complicated to drag some files into a playlist and play them.  It's also not complicated to right-click on some files, choose "Convert" and transcode.  It's only when you start wanting things a particular way that maybe you have to start thinking a little - like creating an output formatting string to create the output path exactly as you want.

I love the modularity of foobar.  It is very well conceived.

the only thing I miss (right now) is real media support (.rm, .ram files)
Yeah, I don't think even 0.8.3 ever had RM support.

and the fact that there is no option to save your preferences (which is really necessary after tweaking so much settings).
As Shade[ST] said, you can save your preferences.  I'm a little confused by your statement.  You can transfer your foobar settings to another PC by simply copying the foobar2000.cfg file in the foobar directory across (If you have not gone for the "per-user settings", in which case it would be in your Application Data folder somewhere).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
Very old thread, but since it's exactly what I'm trying to do, I'll give it a try.

Here is my use case:

Hundreds of ripped CDs, 1 WAV file per CD with cue sheets. Multiple albums in the same folder.
What I need is a program that batch converts this collection to MP3, one separate folder for each album. I also need the full ID3 info to be included in the MP3 files and the cover art image as well.

I'm looking for a program for PC or Mac that does all of this. I've spent hours searching the internet, but nothing I have come up with has all of this functionality. Does this exist? If not, what would be a good alternative maybe using 2 programs?

Reply #8
You can certainly use foobar2000 for this, but you need to first install a command-line MP3 encoder. A LAME bundle from Rarewares is recommended. It doesn't matter where you put it; foobar will prompt you when it needs to know where lame.exe is.

Load one or more cue sheets into the foobar2000 playlist window, and confirm that it shows you the tracks as playlist items, as if they were separate files. If all you see is one line for the .cue, or nothing, then probably there is an error in the cue sheet; check the console (View > Console).

Once you have the tracks in the playlist, you can highlight as many as you want...I'd start with one album at a time until you're sure everything's set up right. Right-click on one of the highlighted items and chose Convert, "..." and then set up the converter as needed. Any combination of settings can be saved as a preset for future use.

When you do the conversion, foobar will do it on a track-by-track basis (whatever was highlighted), and it will add the ID3 tags with the info that's available from the cue sheet (artist, title, album, track#, year). You have control over the output file name; it can include a full or relative folder path, and it can have variables (like %artist%) that will be replaced with the different metadata values.

There are help screens where you're likely to need them; look for the "?" in the upper right corner of the window, or press F1.

Cover art might require a more robust tagging program or a 3rd-party component that you add to foobar2000. Do you have the cover art already in a file, or do you need to fetch new art from somewhere online?

Reply #9
You can certainly use foobar2000 for this, but you need to first install a command-line MP3 encoder. A LAME bundle from Rarewares is recommended. It doesn't matter where you put it; you'll be telling foobar2000 where lame.exe is when you set up the converter.

Load one or more cue sheets into the foobar2000 playlist window, and confirm that it shows you the tracks as playlist items, as if they were separate files. If all you see is one line for the .cue, or nothing, then probably there is an error in the cue sheet; check the console (View > Console).

Once you have the tracks in the playlist, you can highlight as many as you want...I'd start with one album at a time until you're sure everything's set up right. Right-click on one of the highlighted items and chose Convert, "..." and then set up the converter as needed. Any combination of settings can be saved as a preset for future use.

When you do the conversion, foobar will do it on a track-by-track basis (whatever was highlighted), and it will add the ID3 tags with the info that's available from the cue sheet (artist, title, album, track#, year). You have control over the output file name; it can include a full or relative folder path, and it can have variables (like %artist%) that will be replaced with the different metadata values.

There are help screens where you're likely to need them; look for the "?" in the upper right corner of the window, or press F1.

Cover art might require a more robust tagging program or a 3rd-party component that you add to foobar2000. Do you have the cover art already in a file, or do you need to fetch new art from somewhere online?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I actually already installed foobar as well as the lame encoder, but got stuck at the point where I wanted to get every album into a separate folder. So you're saying with variables it's possible to create a separate folder for each album? I thought that might be possible but didn't look into it any further.

Regarding the cover art, I already got them in files, JPG and same name and location like the .cue and the .wav file.

Thanks again so much!

Reply #10
For separate folders, the output filename could be something like C:\path\to\someplace\nice\%artist% - %album%\%title%

I haven't experimented with album art in the fb2k converter. You should probably stop posting here and start posting in our forums which are specifically for foobar2000.
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showforum=27

Reply #11
foobar2000 can embed album art into files: select files in a playlist - right click - tagging - batch attach pictures.

Reply #12
foobar2000 can embed album art into files: select files in a playlist - right click - tagging - batch attach pictures.

OK so if I've understood you correctly it's not possible to this as part of the converting process, but as a second step, again with a path including variables. Testing that right now, thanks.

Also switching to the correct forum.

Reply #13

Just a quick feedback, this does not work well. I'm assuming the reason is this: As soon as there are special symbols involved like : the image isn't found. Maybe you have some pointers how I can work around this.

In any case, the software would be vastly improved if the front cover embedding could be included in the converting process. This would save the user a step and your software might be the only one able to do the conversion all in one step.

Reply #14
Just a quick feedback, this does not work well. I'm assuming the reason is this: As soon as there are special symbols involved like : the image isn't found. Maybe you have some pointers how I can work around this.

there's a recent thread about it: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=109524