Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New hardware purchases for setting up Logitech Media Server (Read 5931 times) previous topic - next topic

New hardware purchases for setting up Logitech Media Server

I want to start streaming audio at home. I've done a fair bit of research and came up with a configuration.

1.) A Synology DS213 NAS will run Logitech Media Server 7.7.2.

2.) A Raspberry Pi Model B will run SqueezeLite (on SqueezePlug distro). The Raspberry Pi will be hooked up to my stereo amplifier via its 3.5 mm jack.

3.) An android phone to control playback on the Raspberry Pi using the Logitech Squeezebox controller app.

I know there's quite a bit of knowledge on this forum with regard to squeezeboxes and friends. I'm basically looking for some brief feedback on my setup before I go through with purchasing the NAS and the Raspberry Pi (I already own the android phone and the stereo.) Is this equipment enough to get me started? Or am I missing something? And second, less important question: will I be OK with the Raspberry Pi's audio (headphone jack) or is there reason to go for a USB audio interface instead?

Reply #1
Doesn't sound too bad. Just a few ideas from me.

The RaspberryPi's audio output is not the best. A lot of people have had problems with (crackling) noises coming from the audio out (from what I've read). There are USB soundcards for only a few dollars/Euros, so if you find out that you are not satisfied with the audio quality you can always get one later. Are you aware that the Raspberry Pi has HDMI output? If you use a receiver you can avoid the whole soundcard situation.

Have you considered using your computer to run the Logitech Server Software? It runs on Windows, Macs and Linux. Might save you some money, if you are using the NAS just for streaming.

Just my two cents.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am aware that Logitech Media Server (LMS) runs on desktop operating systems. I want to get the NAS for other uses as well. I'm just all new to audio streaming/LMS which is why I wanted to run my plan by the forum.

As for the Raspberry Pi's audio. Ok, thanks for the info. I can't go HDMI, my amplifier is an old, all analog Technics SU-V 670. I would certainly be willing to spend a few extra euros on an audio interface or, possibly, re-use an existing entry level interface from Behringer.

Reply #3
You might be better off asking the questions on the Squeezebox community forums (http://forums.slimdevices.com/).

Reply #4
You might be better off asking the questions on the Squeezebox community forums

All right, I'll cross-post it there.

Reply #5
Just to report how this played out. Got the NAS and the Raspberry Pi. Dug out a Behringer UCA202 which I use as a DAC.

Logitech Media Server 7.7.2 runs on the NAS (Synology DS 213). Raspbmc is the OS on the Pi. The Pi is hooked up to my TV via HDMI for video playback and pictures. Also, attached to the Pi is the UCA202 which is connected to my amp via RCAs. The Pi runs squeezelite on top of Raspbmc. I'm using a daemon so squeezelite is automatically started at boot. Controlling LMS via my Android phone using the Logitech Squeezebox controller app.

I'm very happy with how this worked out. Performance of the NAS is great, I can serve other clients (Windows boxes running squeezeplay) besides the Pi no problem. Lastly, I was surprised how smooth configuration went. Raspbmc detected the UCA202 automagically. Only problem was that I initially got dropouts. But increasing the buffer size by passing "-a 80" to squeezelite fixed that.

Thanks again to those who replied or PMed me.

Reply #6
The RPI audio out is rather low quality. I personally couldn't tolerate it even when just hooked to a small TV. Also last time I tried USB audio with PI was a real adventure. Maybe things changed, but I'd opt for HDMI only.