Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod (Read 1309328 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_pod - Foobar2000 meets the iPod

Reply #2000

I've put the dll in my components folder, but when I start foobar I get a message: " Failed to load DLL: foo_pod.dll, reason: Unable to load DLL.".  Any idea why?

My computer crashed last weekend, and I had to rebuild my copy of v0.8.3 from scratch - I'm getting the same error message (along with similar messages about the transcoder .dll's).  I rebuilt my fb2k using the exact same installers used for the now-dead version (which worked perfectly), including the foo_pod installer.  I've also tried foo_pod 9.9k and -9.9m, and all three produce the same errors.
- edit - I've also gone thru Tinkafoo's page, and no luck there...

Help!!!

Dependencies, most likely msvcp71.dll.  It mustn't be in the right spot...or it isn't loading, I dunno.  I think it should go in the components dir with foo_pod.

Reply #2001
...msvcp71.dll....go(es) in the components dir with foo_pod.

Tried that  - didn't work.  I do think you're right about the .dll, though...I just wish I knew where it's supposed to go.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Reply #2002
All ".dll's" have to be in the same folder as foobar2000.exe, and not the "components" sub-folder.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #2003
I just tried putting it in that folder, and it still won't load.  What's really bugging me is that I almost remember having this same issue when I first installed foo_pod - the msvcp71.dll needs to go into something like the system32 folder, or some other odd-ball place...

Reply #2004
- deleted...never mind -

Reply #2005
Four days without a post, weeks without the software author logging in. No future support. Foo_pod is dying. I'm sad.  It seems like Mediamonkey will do almost everything foo_pod does, including on-the-fly transcoding, an replaygain to soundcheck conversion. Anyone know if its scripting language (vb) I think, could be used as extensively as the TAGZ customisation used with foobar / foopod ?

Reply #2006
Four days without a post, weeks without the software author logging in. No future support. Foo_pod is dying. I'm sad.
I agree with you. Clunesy. I have already updated my foobar to v0.9, since I don't expect to use foo_pod anymore. I guess I will stick to iTunes and a standalone replygain to soundcheck convertor.

It's a pity though that the developer won't open the source for foo_pod and let others continue. It's not like it has any commercial potential anyway.
It seems like Mediamonkey will do almost everything foo_pod does, including on-the-fly transcoding, an replaygain to soundcheck conversion. Anyone know if its scripting language (vb) I think, could be used as extensively as the TAGZ customisation used with foobar / foopod ?
I will give Mediamonkey a try. VB is a compilated language, not a scripting language. I don't know what degree of customization Mediamonkey offers. I don't expect to see anything as neat as foobar with foo_pod, anyway.

Reply #2007

Four days without a post, weeks without the software author logging in. No future support. Foo_pod is dying. I'm sad.
I agree with you. Clunesy. I have already updated my foobar to v0.9, since I don't expect to use foo_pod anymore. I guess I will stick to iTunes and a standalone replygain to soundcheck convertor.

Hi there,

Could you care to share whch standalone convertor you used? I attempted to use SoundCheck for iTunes, but I feel that it ain't as good as RG.

To Aero,
Thanks a lot for foo_pod, it was a perfect marriage for both iPod and foobar lovers. It brought much joy to me, as it was the ultimate fb2k plugin that I have ever used.

Thanks a lot, and take care!

Reply #2008
...msvcp71.dll....go(es) in the components dir with foo_pod.

Tried that  - didn't work.  I do think you're right about the .dll, though...I just wish I knew where it's supposed to go.

A few days later - this is weird.  I've tried this (installing the .dll's into the components folder) 3 or 4 times, and kept getting the same error message.  Last night, I tried it again, and it worked just fine... .  Dunno what I did differently this time, but I'm happy it's working now.

Reply #2009

Hi there,

Could you care to share whch standalone convertor you used? I attempted to use SoundCheck for iTunes, but I feel that it ain't as good as RG.

To Aero,
Thanks a lot for foo_pod, it was a perfect marriage for both iPod and foobar lovers. It brought much joy to me, as it was the ultimate fb2k plugin that I have ever used.

Thanks a lot, and take care!

Since you use RG & Soundcheck, I would suggest that you as I do and just keep a barebones version of foobar2000 0.8.3 on you computer. I'm sure that it is smaller than iTunes. This weekend I've been playing with "YamiPOD", and it does everthing I need it to do, as I don't use RG or Soundcheck. I don't think it transcodes either, but I couldn't do that with foo_pod. I use FLAC images with embedded cuesheets, and foo_pod does not have the capability to transcode those files.
Surf's Up!

Reply #2010

Hi SNAG. I haven't started yet, so I still don't know what standalone convertor to use. I have found one here but haven't tested if it is any good. If not, I will write one myself, since the algorithm is quite straight forward.

Take care,
Magnus

PS. Could anybody point me in the right direction as to how to read and write tags from MP3 files? Would writing a foobar plugin be the easiest approach here?

Reply #2011
foo_pod.dll wont load for me either

Reply #2013
There might come a better solution for SoundCheck soon so don't worry about that part.

From whom? An Apple upgrade or some other software? Tell me more! :-)

Reply #2014
Dude. Guys.
Have you not heard of Rockbox? Your mileage may vary, but it works flawlessly for me and my Nano (and a lot of other people for 4g and video too). Simple drag and drop in explorer... no renaming or obfuscated file names. Just the same directory structure as my computer. Also, gapless playback and crossfading while on shuffle rocks my world.

I used foo_pod /w a 0.8.3 version of fb2k I kept on my ipod. Loved it. Worked well for me for quite a while. Thanks for that aero!

Reply #2015
Rockbox is amazing. Too bad my iPod is too old. :(
~

Reply #2016
Dude. Guys.
Have you not heard of Rockbox?

Some people (like me) use Rockbox on our iPod and are specifically interested in foo_pod because the Rockbox iPod FAQ points us here for accessing files put on our iPods using the rockbox firmware FROM the iPod firmware.  Until Rockbox provides external playback control automation, there is little choice but to use something like foo_pod.

Reply #2017
I understand the faq question that mentions foo_pod (and can see a use for foo_pod there) but I have no clue what you're saying with "for accessing files put on our iPods using the rockbox firmware FROM the iPod firmware." "Until Rockbox provides external playback control automation" ...so I'll just assume you're just talking about the same thing--the need to switch between rockbox and the default firmware.

Reply #2018
I understand the faq question that mentions foo_pod (and can see a use for foo_pod there) but I have no clue what you're saying with "for accessing files put on our iPods using the rockbox firmware FROM the iPod firmware." "Until Rockbox provides external playback control automation" ...so I'll just assume you're just talking about the same thing--the need to switch between rockbox and the default firmware.

Yeah - it's hard to describe.  Simply switching back and forth between firmwares is easy since Rockbox lets you dual boot.  I want each firmware to be able to read and play music put on the device from the other firmware.

Actually, what I want is to be able to use an inline remote control for my device ("external playback control automation") - specifically I want this for the headunit in my car.  If the rockbox iPod port did have this functionality, I could stay in rockbox all the time, but it doesn't.  Consequently, I'm investigating hacks to make the iPod firmware able to play the music I put on my device in the simple filesystem hierarchy.  Alternatively, the rockbox iRiver port does have support for an inline remote control so it might not be incredibly hard to add that to the iPod port and I downloaded the rockbox vmware dev image to look at this.

Anyway - that's what I'm after and this is really probably a topic best suited to the rockbox forums  Thanks for seeking clarity, though!

Reply #2019
I love custom TAGZ, I want custom TAGZ, I NEED custom TAGZ.
Can't get them anywhere apart from foo_pod.
Keeping hold of 0.8.3 + foo_pod is fine for a few months, but these things need maintaining.
We all know there'll be new firmwares, new pods, and new itunes features. Something will break, and soon.
Then what will I do ? Start watching movies I guess.........

Reply #2020
I love custom TAGZ, I want custom TAGZ, I NEED custom TAGZ.
Can't get them anywhere apart from foo_pod.
Keeping hold of 0.8.3 + foo_pod is fine for a few months, but these things need maintaining.
We all know there'll be new firmwares, new pods, and new itunes features. Something will break, and soon.
Then what will I do ? Start watching movies I guess.........

Then I would suggest that you take a stroll over to "foo_dop". In a few months you just may have that update plugin that you are looking for.
Surf's Up!

Reply #2021
Nevermind, I answered my own question. 

Reply #2022
So I did some searching but couldn't really find an answer.  Or perhaps my search-fu sucks.

Anyway, what I'm looking to do is exclude songs from being transferred to my iPod via foo_pod.  I have one playlist that contains all my music, but some of that music I don't want transferred.  I don't really want to keep having to create/update a playlist with all music minus unwanted tracks.  Is this possible via foo_pod or other means?

Reply #2023
So I did some searching but couldn't really find an answer.  Or perhaps my search-fu sucks.

Anyway, what I'm looking to do is exclude songs from being transferred to my iPod via foo_pod.  I have one playlist that contains all my music, but some of that music I don't want transferred.  I don't really want to keep having to create/update a playlist with all music minus unwanted tracks.  Is this possible via foo_pod or other means?

Yes, you can sync your playlist.  But be careful that the music you don't want to transfer is bit identical to what you have on your ipod (tags etc) otherwise it will be deleted and transfered again.

Reply #2024
Thanks.  But actually what I was looking for was a way to specify, just once, certain tracks/albums/folders to never be transferred to my iPod.

I realize I can use the syncing functions, but that would require that I already didn't transfer the unwanted songs to it.

Basically I'm lazy, is what I'm saying.  Is there a way to dynamically create a playlist that meets the criteria, without toooo much configuring?  That or a static way to create the playlist that I can just recreate (with new additions) and xfer again.

Thanks!