Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why i am I not getting sound from a FLAC in Center channel ? (Read 4969 times) previous topic - next topic

Why i am I not getting sound from a FLAC in Center channel ?

Recently I started to use DVD-Audio Explorer to extract the HD-Audio tracks from DVD-A's and converting them to FLAC. This went perfect until now, but now I have a problem with a certain disc (rip). When I open the disc in DVD-Audio Explorer, it says:
Group 1 channel assignment Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs and Group 2 channel assignment C. When I extract and run flac I get a .wav and a .flac file, and both have Lf-Rf-C-Ls-Rs in the filename, but when I play them in foobar, the flac file does not give sound from the center channel. The .wav file however is fine and has sound in all 5 channels. When I only extract the .wav and convert it manually to flac, I have the same problem, so that does not make any difference. In DVD-Audio Explorer I check Convert to Wave and Merge groups b.t.w.
What am I doing wrong and how can I solve it ?

Reply #1
The problem seems to be in foobar's FLAC decoding config. Are you sure it's not mixing C into L and R?
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #2
The problem seems to be in foobar's FLAC decoding config. Are you sure it's not mixing C into L and R?

Thanks Skelsgard, it seems you are right.
I also tried playing in MPC with madflac as decoder and then I have the same problem, no proper sound from the C channel, but only a high-pitched whistling.
But when I play in it MPC (with CCCP) and enable built-in Flac (I assume that is from ffdshow audio decoder ?), it is perfectly o.k.
Any idea how I can get it right in foobar ? I don't see an option to configure flac in foobar. FWIW, I am still a noob with foobar.

Reply #3
Might be worth a separate post in the fb2k forum on here?

Sorry I'm of no help otherwise

Reply #4
Testing something similar to your problem, I came across with the possibility that it's a 24bit file issue, as you can read here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=70023

Basically, 24bit Flacs can't be properly rendered by all decoders, and you're even using a not very common configuration (5.0, instead of 5.1). Maybe MPC is failing to render it as madFlac struggles with a 5.0 config, while CCCP has no problems with it.
Your version of foobar might be using an old FLAC decoder without full support for 24bit yet.
I've tested with the latest possible decoders (madFlac, ffdshow) and the problem seemed to be not in the decoder but in the loading of the flac stream  (that process where the player  reads the file and determines what to use to render it, so an improper reading will give you noise and junk).
Get graphedit and try to load the flac manually building the decoding chain. If madFlac can decode the 5.0 file properly, then the problem is somewhere else.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."

Reply #5
Thanks again Skelsgard. I am still not familiar with Graphedit, so I don't know what to do or how to use it. But I did some additional observations with regards to the problematic files. Btw, in my post in the foobar subforum ( I assume that you read that too ?) I was wrong about the number of channels.
1) When I open the DVD-A in DVD-Audio Explorer I see Group 1 Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs and Group 2 C, so 5 channels.
2) When I extract it and convert it to flac (Convert to wave>Merge groups>Run flac), I get a flac file Lf-Rf-C-Ls-Rs. So still 5 channels, including C.
3) When I play the file in foobar, I don't get output from the center channel, BUT the peakmeter does show a Lfe signal !
4) When I play the same file in MPC (CCCP) with madflac registered (and in the filter chain), I do get output from the center channel (and not from the Lfe of course).
5) When I only convert to wave (Convert to wave>Merge groups), the wave file plays correctly in foobar (peakmeter also showing the correct signals).
I have some 6 channel flac files (5.1) made the same way and these do play fine too.
So apparently foobar directs the C to LFe and only with the flac file and only with a 5 channel file.