Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDDA & USB 2.0 CDRW Support (Read 3158 times) previous topic - next topic

CDDA & USB 2.0 CDRW Support

I have USB2 CDRW for my old K6 laptop, connected to an NEC PCMCIA USB2 CardBus card. When i attempt to play a CD, the drive does not show up in the selection box. It does, however, play CD's using windows media player, and also works fine with XP's built in CD Recording software.

I dont have an APSI layer on this machine, but i guessed the CDDA plugin would use the proper Windows NT SPTI interface if it found one, rather than 3rd party stuff. If it doesn't, and i have to install an aspi layer, can anyone recommed a very small distribution of one?

Reply #1
I always use the Adaptec ASPI layer and it has never given me any problems.

Reply #2
Well, it seems to have done something pretty bad to this USB drive, after installing the adaptec layer, it runs slower than does in a USB1.1 port, so slow explorer just locks up trying to access it. How can that be? i honestly cant possibly think of how that could of occured myself. After that, it simply flipped the lid open with the disc spinning at some crazy speed. I had to manually uninstall the adaptec layer, which made no difference, uninstalled / reinstalled the drive, no difference, so thank to the wonders of norton ghost, i hope to be able to restore this system. And this in on a clean install of XP. So, if you do happen to own a USB2 CDRW, i wouldn't suggest trying it.

Reply #3
Better to install the older version included with ForceASPI.

Reply #4
OK, got it running using the Nero ASPI layer. It seems that the adaptec one supports USB2 cards with the NEC controller, such as mine, but only internal PCI cards, not cardbus cards. It communicates with it at quite a low level, so it managed to get confused and stuff up the cardbus card. After removing the ASPI layer, removing all traces of the drive from the USB registry keys, and reinstalling the cardbus USB2 card, its working fine now.

Reply #5
@DarkAngel

I'm sorry my advice turned out so bad for you . But as I said, I haven't had any problems with the Adaptec ASPI layer on any machine I've ever worked with .

But I'm glad you got it working after all.

Reply #6
Sure, no probs

After all, installing an ASPI layer should be simple and trouble free, or even better, the plugin should move from proprietry ASPI to the native NT SPTI. Or at least, offer it as an option. If my C++ wasn't so rusty, i would do it myself!.