Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rip directly to FLAC in 0.9 beta 12 (Read 3047 times) previous topic - next topic

Rip directly to FLAC in 0.9 beta 12

I usually first rip a CD with f2k (unlimited; secure) to wavs and then convert to FLACs. Is it safe to rip right to FLACs? I mean, first to choose "Play audio CD"
highlight the tracks and then "Convert to FLAC"

Thanks

Reply #1
I usually first rip a CD with f2k (unlimited; secure) to wavs and then convert to FLACs. Is it safe to rip right to FLACs? I mean, first to choose "Play audio CD"
highlight the tracks and then "Convert to FLAC"

Thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348048"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it should be.

Reply #2
The files come out ~20k larger when encoded with FB2K for me. Not sure why. The WAV data is the same. But if you are already ripping with FB, it is no less safe using it to encode directly to FLAC.

Reply #3
Thanks a lot for fast feedback

Just another question on ripping with f2kb12: what is 'limit drive speed' feature for?
Is it just for CD listening with less noise from the drive or does it also provides more secure ripping?

Reply #4
Under normal conditions, you do not need to limit the drive speed for ripping. However, with badly scratched or "copy-protected" CDs (especially from EMI, if I remember correctly) it could help to turn it on to get better results. In case of doubt, just leave it off and if you ever come across a CD where you get an error message that secure ripping failed, you can try again with enabled drive speed limit.