Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl forum? (Read 10259 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl forum?

With the (slightly) increasing volume of vinyl-related messages, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a vinyl forum in the Audio Hardware category, representing topics such as turntable selection/maintenance, ripping to computer, accessories, and related stuff like 78s. While General Audio is adequate for discussing it, those interested in this sort of thing would probably benefit from a forum with much more focused content (ie not needing to search the forums back 2 years to see all the relevant information). Plus we need a good centralized resource for objective/skeptical vinyl listening.

I'm not sure how well the discussions could be delineated from General Audio discussions, though. A lot of vinyl talk winds up also involving Red Book.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #1
Obligatory bump. Right now it looks like the vinyl topics in General Audio are about as popular as the General A/V or Movie/Multichannel forums

Vinyl forum?

Reply #2
With the (slightly) increasing volume of vinyl-related messages, ...

really?
wonders me a bit, your -unanswered Post from *2005*- shows IMHO there is a minor interest here?

Greets

Vinyl forum?

Reply #3
I'd think it would be cool... easier searching. But I wouldn't expect to be posting there every day

Vinyl forum?

Reply #4
As vinyl is being perceived by the general public as an audiophile format, I'd like to add my voice to this request. Sure, vinyl is quantifiably inferior to CD, but lots of people vehemently deny that. I'd like to see that situation rectified through proper discussion, and I think the ideal forum for that discussion is Hydrogenaudio.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #5
Yes, and there seems to be a bit more interest in general lately due the widespread advertising of USB turntables. Maybe a separate forum might make it easier for people interested in transferring their vinyl to PC to find some useful information

Vinyl forum?

Reply #6
Sure, vinyl is quantifiably inferior to CD, but lots of people vehemently deny that.

I am interested in that topic. Yes, maybe a vinyl forum may help.

But I also wonder why not improving the wiki, so that discussions get reduced? I only see http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl) , but I am not interested so much in myth, instead I want a comparison of Red Book and Vinyl(s). A table listing the quantifiable factor with one columne for CD and one for Vinyl, or more, if there are different vinyls.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #7
But I also wonder why not improving the wiki, so that discussions get reduced? I only see http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl) , but I am not interested so much in myth, instead I want a comparison of Red Book and Vinyl(s). A table listing the quantifiable factor with one columne for CD and one for Vinyl, or more, if there are different vinyls.
A few such quantities are listed there. Dynamic range is the big place where vinyl is quantifiably inferior. Frequency response is kind of irrelevant, as CD reproduces up to the human hearing limit quite transparently.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #9
Thanks, Peter. I've made some attempt to move a bunch of Vinyl threads, but it's a point-and-click adventure from Hell, so I think I'm going to stop at the 30-odd discussions I've moved over.

If anyone sees any old thread that I've missed or would like anything moved, post here or PM me and I'll get it sorted out.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #10

Thanks a lot!

Perhaps there should be a sticky in the vinyl forum at some point to point to the wiki? Or is it better to update Pio's FAQ?

Vinyl forum?

Reply #11
This is great news, though I'm not sure about the name. 78s aren't vinyl, and neither are cassettes (which crop up occasionally). How about analogue? Oh no, scratch that - half the people here can't spell that word

Seriously though, Analog(ue) formats might make more sense. Is there another word for analogue that everyone spells the same in all English speaking countries?

Cheers,
David.

Vinyl forum?

Reply #13
How about "non-digital"?

Vinyl forum?

Reply #14
How about "Records (& Tapes)"?

Vinyl forum?

Reply #15
The most accurate phrase for the forum would probably be "phonograph", but that phrase is even more esoteric than "analog".

But vinyl stopped meaning anything specific decades ago. 45s are usually made out of polystyrene, and even Mobile Fidelity's UHQR Super Vinyl formulation was something like a 50-50 mix of PVC and PVA, so the "usual" line about vinyl being due to PVC is kind of misleading.

All of the analog issues that aren't covered by the appellation "vinyl", excluding 78s, are I believe covered adequately in General Audio. Moreover, they share a lot in common with discussions about live recording and audio engineering theory in general. But the same questions get asked over and over about vinyl in particular, that may not apply to any other audio format and there is a lot more deep discussion going on with it, like with the Knowzy measurement work - so I think it's correct to a) have forum devoted to analog disc formats in general, and b) call it the "vinyl" forum.