Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Making an audio only dvd out of CDs? (Read 3949 times) previous topic - next topic

Making an audio only dvd out of CDs?

I need to make a DVD disc that is playable on all DVD players and contain as many audio cds of popular music without sacrificing too much of audio quality.

So, my original sources are my Red Book audio CDs (44.1kHz/16 bit). The target needs to be a standards compliant DVD with audio only content.

As I understand it, the valid sampling rates on a dvd disc do not allow for 44.1kHz PCM data, or am I wrong? If I'm right, this rules out using pure PCM from CD to DVD as a solution.

So, I need to compress the PCM data to MPEG-2 or AC3 hopefully without having to resample upto 48 kHz first. I say hopefully, because I'd rather not add resampling part to my workflow. Ripping, encoding, tagging, indexing and burning is enough already

If I'm able to do this, will the resulting 44.1kHz/16 bit encoded AC3 stream play back without problems on current DVD players? Or will it get resampled to 48kHz before DVD players/receivers D/A conversion, resulting in suboptimal sound quality (depending on the asrc quality of course)?

To sum it up, I'd like to hear from people who have tried to do something similar and have found a good way to do it. What software (pref. win32) did you use for encoding, indexing, burning, etc? Are there any special pitfalls to be aware of?

And no, I'm not interested in making a dvd-rom with mp3 files as I don't have dvd player with mp3 playback nor am I interested in buying a new mp3 capable dvd player.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
Halcyon

Reply #1
Anyone?

Reply #2
I guess no one has tried it.

I have tried putting AC-3 .wavs onto audio CD, and feeding the digital out to a surround sound decoder. This Dennon device was very forgiving of the sample rate. It would play 32, 44.1, or 48kHz encoded AC-3 streams. It would even play an AC-3 stream, encoded at 48kHz, played back at 44.1kHz (without resampling - i.e. same samples, played slower) - the resulting audio just sounded slow, but the decoding worked perfectly. Still, not a lot of use for listening to the music - just an indication of how nice and helpful the decoder was!

I doubt that most decoders are as forgiving of departures from the format, so it's probably best to resample to 48kHz first for maximum compatibility. Surely the resampling is quicker than the AC-3 encoding anyway?

Maybe you could get some concrete answers at the doom9.org forums?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
As I understand it, the valid sampling rates on a dvd disc do not allow for 44.1kHz PCM data, or am I wrong? If I'm right, this rules out using pure PCM from CD to DVD as a solution.

AFAIK, at least pure 48kHz PCM is supported. I'd assume this upsampling would bring far fewer artifacts than AC3-encoding if done properly.

Reply #4
SSRC resampling is very high quality, and will cause less artifacts than any lossy codec. As to if 44.1 KHz sample rate will be supported, I think that if your player can play cds, probably will support 44.1 KHz rates, but this is pure guessing. Still, who knows how is cd audio handled internally, maybe in some cases there can be some internal resampling going on.

Reply #5
Ok, thanks for the information so far.

I'll probably settle for AC3 at some high bitrate, it'll be enough for this purpose I have in mind.

Now, how about software and authoring tips?

Is it even possible to make a DVD (audio only) disc that will automatically start playing when one presses "play" on the DVD player. No menus, no selections, just play and music.

Also, if anyone has additional pointers to other forums/sites I should start searching, then I'm all ear (or in this case, all eyes)

cheers,
Halcyon

Reply #6
Your best bet for that would probably be www.doom9.org

[rant]sacrify some compability and just burn a dvd with loads of APS encoded mp3, you know how many hours of music that would give you ?

h e a p s 
[/rant]

Reply #7
Thanks for the link.

By using mp3 I'd sacrifice 100% of compatibility in this case as I need to play the disc on a dvd player that does not support mp3 playback

regards,
Halcyon