Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What's the oldest peice of audio equipment in your system?

Music Server
[ 2 ] (1.9%)
Speakers
[ 28 ] (26.9%)
Headphones
[ 7 ] (6.7%)
Pre-amp
[ 0 ] (0%)
Amplifier
[ 29 ] (27.9%)
CD/DVD Player
[ 4 ] (3.8%)
Tape Deck
[ 8 ] (7.7%)
Turntable
[ 13 ] (12.5%)
Tuner
[ 5 ] (4.8%)
Other (please tell us)
[ 8 ] (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Topic: How old is your gear? (Read 10666 times) previous topic - next topic

How old is your gear?

So what's your oldest gear?

Mine is a Marantz Luxman Tuner that is 33 years old. After that, my amps (Silver Audio) and pre-amp (VTL)  are at least 15 years old.

The newest is a Monster/Entech DAC.  About 3 months.

Though I re--tubed my amps this week they sound new... :-)
EAC secure | FLAC  --best -V -b 4096 | LAME 3.97 -V0 -q0 -b32

How old is your gear?

Reply #1
My amp is a Yamaha CA-810 that is roughly 30 years old, and still going strong.

How old is your gear?

Reply #2
Since my music system was reduced to a laptop plus active speakers, and i switched to that setup during the previous year, my stats make me look like a "buy and throw away"-type consumer. However, i typically am very precise and individual when buying and typically keep equipment for many years (in the case of the laptop, i expect to keep it for at least 5 years! ). I am however not satisfied with my speakers and will probably upgrade to portable active mid-field studio monitors.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

How old is your gear?

Reply #3
Oldest: Stax SR-X/MK3 - about 30 years old.
Youngest: Ray Samuels Audio "The Tomahawk" - 2 months old.

How old is your gear?

Reply #4
I have a set of Harman Kardon Festival III floor speakers from 1976.

They still sound great!

How old is your gear?

Reply #5
I think I actually misvoted on my youngest piece of equipment.

My oldest is a Yamaha HTR-5590 A/V Receiver.  Since I graduated college, I'd been working on putting together a much better a/v setup than what I had IN college (which was primarily 2nd hand stuff).

Ironically, my youngest is a Harmon Kardon Receiver that I bought in the last 6 months (prior to that, my youngest was some 10 ga wire I purchased for speakers).  The HK receiver replaced an integrated amp that I was using for my computer & my wife's computer.  The integrated amp was having issues and ultimately was not worth the hassle of taking apart and diagnosing.

FYI, I have 2 audio setups.  One in my computer room area where both my computer and my wife's computer reside.  The other is my living room where the audio equipment is hooked up to a media computer and a TV.

Edit: DOH!!! I completely misvoted.  The speakers hooked up to my computer are from my college days.  I purchased them 7-8 years ago.  Dammit, does anyone else have a problem properly remembering the age of their audio equipment?

How old is your gear?

Reply #6
Oldest: Onkyo TA-2330 tape deck - 21 years old
Youngest: Beyerdynamic DT-880 - 19 months

How old is your gear?

Reply #7
Oldest: Pioneer turntable from 1981 w/Grado cartridge - rarely used anymore but fun to show the kids. Still works well.

For many years I had some very old gear, notably hot-rodded Dynaco tube amps from the mid-1960s along with a pair of AR-3a speakers. All that stuff was sold about 12 years ago now. "Hot & Heavy" was an apt description of that rig :-)

My main guitar amp is still a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb I have owned and maintained for 22 years. When you turn it up past 5 it levitates and floats around the room.

How old is your gear?

Reply #8
They can have my Teac V7 and my turntable when they die and I have to replace them !!!!

(More to the point, I ought to transcribe a lot of stuff from cassette to digital, pretty soon, too.)
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

How old is your gear?

Reply #9
My amp and speakers are H. H. Scott from the 80's  I replaced the original subs with some Pioneers about 6 months ago, though.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

How old is your gear?

Reply #10
The oldest is a Pioneer SX-3800 receiver.  It's about 26 years old. 
The youngest is a Chaintech AV-710 that is about 1.5 years old.  (I hope soundcards count)

How old is your gear?

Reply #11
NAD Amp. 2200 from 1988

How old is your gear?

Reply #12
Portable:  iPod is about 18 months.

My home system is an m-audio Revolution 5.1 digital out to a Yamaha RXV359 with Mordaunt Short Genie speaker set.  I've had the soundcard for about two months, and the receiver/speaker have been here for six weeks.

How old is your gear?

Reply #13
oldest: canton ergo sc-l speakers (~1994)
youngest: terratec phase 24fw (1 week )

How old is your gear?

Reply #14
Oldest: Audigon DAC from 91. Very flexible (3 inputs) and much better sounding that the stock dac's these days
Newest: Rotel RA1062 amp

How old is your gear?

Reply #15
Does a banjo count?

How old is your gear?

Reply #16
My old stereo consists of an Onkyo TX2500 MK-II receiver, a Dual 1237 turntable, and Ohm C2 speakers, purchased in 1978.  I added a Sony TC FX-30 casette deck in 1981 and a Sony CDP C505 CD player in 1992.  Of those, only the receiver and the CD player are still in good working order, and the CD player is somewhat iffy.

The speakers work but are quite distorted due to damage from time and three childrens' probing fingers.  They could be repaired for about two-thirds of their original cost by replacing the cones, but considering they're 30-year-old technology, it's questionable whether they'd sound as good as a new pair costing the same.

Once I get decent speakers, I'll have to figure out how to hook up my computer with its collection of music files to the stereo with its much better sound quality.  I'm not quite sure how to do that but I'm sure many of you have crossed that bridge.

How old is your gear?

Reply #18
Oldest: A gloriously well-kept Yamaha YP-211 turntable that reminds me about everything good Yamaha ever did

How old is your gear?

Reply #19
Ow, I already cast a null vote because I had no idea with my past gear, but in the last days I have swapped a few parts:
- I got a Technics SA-313 receiver/amplifier for free from a friend (who in term had got it for free and just had it standing around...), that should be around 25 years old.
- The newest part is now just a few days old, I bought and built a pair of Visaton Alto II speakers last week.

How old is your gear?

Reply #20
My oldest pieces are Technics SE9060/SU9070 Amp/Preamp from 1979. Still working very well, but only 2 channels  so it had to make place for my youngest "family" member, a not so very goood Yamaha 5 channel amp. Sure it won't live as long as the old one....

Next is a pair of KEF Mini Transmissionlines (B110B/T27) from 1981, then a pair of TDL/Oberhage Monitor Compact TL speakers from 1989. My still working CD player is a Sony CDP-X33 from the early 90s

How old is your gear?

Reply #21
I don't know specific dates, but my turntable, amp, and headphones are pretty close to each other, all circa 1981.  The amp is a Pioneer A8 with 90 wpc.  Still sounds great, I'll be happy with it for years to come.  The turntable is a Technics SL-Q2, nothing like well-built Japanese quartz-locked direct drive!  The headphones are Pioneer as well, although I think they may be from the late 70's.  They don't sound bad by any means, but I'm looking for something a little better.  They're not the clearest headphones on earth, very warm and 70's analog sounding.

How old is your gear?

Reply #22
I use a McIntosh tube amp from 1956 (51 years old) and an Eico tube preamp from 1959 (48 years old).  My speakers are from the 1960s and my turntable is from the 1970s.  My digital sources are only about two years old.

John
I am 39 years old.

How old is your gear?

Reply #23
Oldest: PSB Alpha Mini speakers, bought new (IIRC they were on discount due to being discontinued) in 1997.

Newest: an 41Hz.com AMP6-basic that I built last week.

How old is your gear?

Reply #24
For many years I had some very old gear, notably hot-rodded Dynaco tube amps from the mid-1960s along with a pair of AR-3a speakers. All that stuff was sold about 12 years ago now. "Hot & Heavy" was an apt description of that rig :-)

I still fondly remember my first Hi-Fi equipment, Dynaco 70W tube amplifier, tube preamp and tube FM tuner, all assembled from kits in the mid 60s. Later I added a Heathkit solid state receiver so that I could listen to quadrophonic sound, which was broadcast by two FM radio stations out of NYC.

Edit: BTW, I made the mistake of selling the Dynaco equipment in the early 70s and keeping the Heathkit AR-15 receiver. Unfortunately the Heathkit made a habit of frying output transistors with such regularity that I finally junked it. Now I wish that I had kept the Dynaco.