Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Folding@Home (Read 28733 times) previous topic - next topic

Folding@Home

Is anyone interested in helping in cancer research.  It will not cost you anything, no contracts to sign, no, nothing.  All you have to give up is your CPU idle time.  You just download a small program which only uses your CPU idle time to... Well, read more about it here if you are interested.

I have a suggestion, as many people here are interested in silent PCs, why not join this team 31574, its a fairly new team which is growing at an alarming rate.

As 2 teams are better then 1, why not join them and try to become the No 1 folding team ???

[edit]

WHen your CPU is idle, all the processing power is waisted, so why not put it to good use!  You could save someone 

[/edit]

Folding@Home

Reply #1
Yep, I think I'll put my new P4-3GHz to good use. This SETI@Home project seems a bit too far fetched, and they have enough processing power anyway. And it's very likely that they wont find any evidence of ETs anyway.. 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #2
Yep, I think I'll put my new P4-3GHz to good use. This SETI@Home project seems a bit too far fetched, and they have enough processing power anyway. And it's very likely that they wont find any evidence of ETs anyway.. 

I remember they listed their results. Check this and this. It's quite and an evidence actually and AFAIK they did not start analyzing pulses, spikes and triplets. There're many such projects : Distributed Folding, folding@home, genome@home, Sengent D2OL...
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Folding@Home

Reply #3

JohnV

No one seems to be interested in helping out in cancer research.  This suprises me because once the program is installed on your computer, you will not even notice it.  It does not affect pc performance at all.  It does increase CPU temp by about 5C, but thats it!

How about creating a HydrogenAudio team @ folding@home ???

Just a thought

Folding@Home

Reply #4
Yeah, some companies will make money on my cost (power! I wll cool my cpu instead of starting seti o folding - less power usage and longer CPU live). This companies will not share their e.g. cure for cancer as we share our cpus poer - they will sell that, and i`m pretty sure, that price for this cure will be high enough (too high) to pump some companies with cash.

Someone could give link to REALLY FREE such program. One of links: http://www1.distributed.net/

Folding@Home

Reply #5
One of links: http://www1.distributed.net/

Naah.. I don't trust anyone who use automatic translation for their webpages. Barely readable, but at least it gave me a good laugh.

Folding@Home

Reply #6
I've participated in Seti@Home now for some 4 years, i.e. right since it started. I still have a bunch of machines running it at work. At about a year ago I stumbled over folding@home and switched over some of the machines to that. Maybe this will be good for something....

What's for sure is that running such a process will increase your electricity bill by an enormous amount if you have it running 24/7. You might be interested in that when you do it at home.
sic transit gloria mundi...

Folding@Home

Reply #7
What's for sure is that running such a process will increase your electricity bill by an enormous amount if you have it running 24/7. You might be interested in that when you do it at home.

The administrator of Silent PC Review used a watt-meter on his collection of PC's, from 700MHz to 1.8GHz, and  he said they were drawing 60-90W when idle, and 110-130W when running the folding@home program.

An Extra 50W per hour is 36KWH/month for a 24/7 PC. Where I live, 1KWH costs about $0.13, so running folding@home on a PC that is already on 24/7 (and doing nothing) costs an extra $4.50 per month. If you only run folding@home when the PC is on, let's say for 8 hours a day, that's only $1.50 a month. For most people, the difference in power draw (between f@h and no-f@h) will be less, and the cost of power will be less,  so folding@home will be cheaper to run than this.

I thought running a distributed client would wallop my wallet, but it's really not too bad. I'm just more conscientious about turning off the house lights.

Edit: updated numbers.

Folding@Home

Reply #8
A costly cure is better than no cure, believe me.

Folding@Home

Reply #9
Now I leaved Seti and started cracking RC5-72 together with largest Polish team - http://rc5.kernelpanic.pl/.

Distribute.net client have cool fetures like sending logs via e-mail, completely hiding client and more. Now i`m using three machines, but i`ll use five soon.

Maybe someone (best if Dibrom/JohnV) could make HydrogenAudio team, ppl from community could join )There is 2000$ to win, so 1000$ will go to team (here: ha.org), 1000$ for happy user...

http://www.distributed.net

Folding@Home

Reply #10
I generally like the idea of distributed computing, especially if the project is actually working on something interesting like folding@home or distributed.net (both interesting/useful in their own way). But if there is ever going to be a HA team, it should concentrate on one project.
dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Folding@Home

Reply #11
Ok.  This is HA's Folding@Home team number: 32639
New team Hydrogenaudio.org with number 32639 has been founded by JohnV
(The team page will link to homepage at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org and link to a logo graphic at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/style_images/1/logo.png
Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number in the team field
(right-click to configure a client program)
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #12
I'm in

Folding@Home

Reply #14
If everyone in this forum joined, this team would have the potential to be the greatest !!  I say this, because hydrogenaudio has quiet a bit of members!  I think more then the average forum 

Folding@Home

Reply #15
Finally someone brings this up on HA!!!  I been doing this for the pass 3 months but with another team OCAU I think this team is ranked 3rd on the list, not sure I don't check it no more as I am just interested at getting the WU processed, and looking at the molecules hehehe.

Join the team and help try to find a cure for cancer and other diseases. Also make sure you select the F@H and not Genome one

Right now to decide which team to go for!

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Folding@Home

Reply #16
We need some cheerleaders as well carrying the logo of Hydrogenaudio 

I'm in and ready for some serious scientific research...

Drop all your teams and join this one for encoding's sake

Folding@Home

Reply #17
Looks like there are only 3 computers in the HA team, it could be over 6000 !!!

Folding@Home

Reply #18
I will add two machines tonight and probably some more at my school later next week...
dev0

Folding@Home

Reply #19
I will add two machines tonight and probably some more at my school later next week...
dev0

They let you do that at school?

Folding@Home

Reply #20
Ok.  This is HA's Folding@Home team number: 32639

New team Hydrogenaudio.org with number 32639 has been founded by JohnV
(The team page will link to homepage at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org and link to a logo graphic at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/style_images/1/logo.png
Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number in the team field
(right-click to configure a client program)

How about HA.org team for distributed.net? It has better client, also 1000$ to win for Ha.org...

Folding@Home

Reply #21
dev0

They let you do that at school?

Yeah. I'm doing the administration of the ~ 100 client Win2k network there and the school administration basically allows me to do anything legal, especially if I can somehow combine it with my research projects (and folding@home definetly fits there). Additionally I might even be able to get some spare machines to work on it 24/7.

dev0

Folding@Home

Reply #22
I'm gonna join up as well. Out of curiosity, which appliaction are you all running, screensaver, GUI or console. I am going to run th econsole becase i had problems with the GUI when i gave it a try at christmas!

2.53GHz of watr cooled power coming HA's way

Kristian

Folding@Home

Reply #23

Jen, of course!

Out of curiosity, which appliaction are you all running, screensaver, GUI or console.

I use gui with CPU usage limited to 60%. else my MPEGs/DivX play jerky.
And I drop it to 30% when watching DVDs

Folding@Home

Reply #24

Jen, of course!

Out of curiosity, which appliaction are you all running, screensaver, GUI or console.

I use gui with CPU usage limited to 60%. else my MPEGs/DivX play jerky.
And I drop it to 30% when watching DVDs

Im no cheerleader, I have brains!

I am using the windows client version 3.24, but its not supposed to interfere with anything.  If you are playing dvd, the console should stop working.  Its only supposed to work whenever your CPU is free, i.e. idle time ???