Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rarewares.org website down (Read 25645 times) previous topic - next topic

Rarewares.org website down

Not sure if this is the right place to post but anyway Rarewares seems to be down. I get redirected to a page that says This Account Has Been Suspended

@Rjamorim: HELLLP!!!!
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post but anyway Rarewares seems to be down. I get redirected to a page that says This Account Has Been Suspended

@Rjamorim: HELLLP!!!!

uhoh!

Reply #2
Oh nos! Even though it says Billing/Support (it's a generic cPanel page) I hope this is not a legal issue.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #3
Tomorrow is the last day of the year, so it's probable someone forgot to prolong a subscription...

Reply #4
No idea! I was enjoying christmas here at my parents town, and then all hell broke loose.

The problem is that, since I'm here, I can't call ScorLibran (the guy that pays hosting) because he is in Salt Lake City. I'll try mailing him, but he's not the fastest replier...

I also lost ftp access, but I hope everything is still there.

I'll try to keep you informed.

Edit: Maybe some nice guy in USA would be willing to send him a SMS message?

If you can, please PM me and I'll send you his cell phone number.

Reply #6
OK, I left a message on his mailbox since he didn't pick up. That made 2 cents - now I am broke... Still 1.56 € to get rid of.

Edit: Also sent an SMS.

Reply #7
Thank-you very much

Now we must wait...

Reply #9
...you guys made backups, don't you?  ...

I have backups of a somewhat old version of the HTMLs, and I also have rjamorim.com backed up in its entirety, including the listening tests page and rrw.

Reply #10
I got a reply from Chris:

I've called them twice this morning, and am trading emails with them as well to get this fixed ASAP.  They say I "abused their web server", and overutilized resources.  They guy on the phone knew nothing.  They never sent me an email or called my phone.  They simply took the site down.  Stupidity.  So the guy tells me to resolve it with emails.

Guess we are the receiving end of web host stupidity. Again.

Reply #11
don't let this trouble interrupt you celebrations for the new year (if there is any that is), take your time and sort it out or chose another host. this is what they kind of tell you to do anyway, isn't it?

well, thank you guys for your continued effort in this matter and for providing us with fresh compiles (John et all), hosting and information
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #13
this is what they kind of tell you to do anyway, isn't it?

Or that they should upgrade to a VPS / own server.

Indeed, that sounds like a scam to get us to upgrade to plans that cost 4x more than what we are currently paying. So far they failed to tell us what precious resources we are overusing (CPU, disk, memory, bandwidth...) and how we are overusing it.

It can't be disk or bandwidth as both are carefully kept within the quota. And as for CPU/memory, the vast majority of the site runs on static HTML and HTTP downloads. The only PHP script that gets used often is Mac's dancer, which distributes bandwidth consumption among several mirrors.

Reply #14
Depending on your diskspace/bw needs, I may be able to host you for free on my machine (hosts kraln.com and other projects of mine). I own the machine (it's a colo, not a dedi rental) so it's entirely mine...

send me an email: kraln@kraln.com

Reply #15
Depending on your diskspace/bw needs, I may be able to host you for free on my machine (hosts kraln.com and other projects of mine). I own the machine (it's a colo, not a dedi rental) so it's entirely mine...

send me an email: kraln@kraln.com

just my opinion, but for someone with apparently... 0 posts here (ergo no outside bin/offtopic) and randomly offering a server, i'd probably go with a more trusted company.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #16
If there is a temporary need for hosting the binaries, I'd be happy to help out. Just give me a PM.

Reply #18
Thank-you very much for the offers, friends, but Chris sorted out the issue. He decided to bite it and go for the VPS package. Well, it's his money...

Reply #19
For anyone who needs anything in the interim, you'll find a lot of it at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/. It's not pretty, but most of it's there!

Reply #20
Well, that's a shame, rjamorim... it only validates their unethical strategy to con folks into paying more than what they need. 

At least the site should be back up soon.

Reply #21
I also offered Robero to host RW since I now have 10 GB of webspace and unlimited traffic, but I think they got it sorted now.

is it a hosting plan? or your own server?

Reply #22
Well, that's a shame, rjamorim... it only validates their unethical strategy to con folks into paying more than what they need. 

It seems to me Chris was more hurried than me to have RareWares running again. I was only planning to sort it out when I return home, next weekend...

Reply #23

I also offered Robero to host RW since I now have 10 GB of webspace and unlimited traffic, but I think they got it sorted now.

is it a hosting plan? or your own server?

Hosting plan for 8 € per month: http://all-inkl.com/eng/index.php?cna=&cnb=

Their English is a bit rusty though. I asked what they mean with "Traffic inklusive" ("Transfer include") and they told me that the traffic is no longer limited.

Reply #24
It seems to me Chris was more hurried than me to have RareWares running again.

It's a very valuable source for all to find up-to-date already compiled .exe and .dll files.

I had tried to access RareWares before reading about it being down here on HA.org and some four letter profanities came to mind seeing it down.

I don't remember if you had a Donate button on RareWares or not (never noticed), but it's one idea to offset the cost!