Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 Install Failure on Windows XP SP3 (Read 1170 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 Install Failure on Windows XP SP3

Hello,

I am trying to install the latest version of Foobar2000 on my Windows XP SP3 system, to upgrade from version 1.1.10 (which is currently installed on that system), but on running the setup executable I immediately get an error message telling me that "Windows XP SP2 or later Windows version is required to run Foobar".

Which does not make sense as I am running Windows XP with SP3.

I tried installing earlier versions (1.2.22, 1.2.29 and 1.3), always with the same result.

Apologies if this seems like a very basic problem.  I presume the Foobar install program is reading my system as being an earlier version of Windows. But why? and is there a solution?

Thanks for any help which anyone in this forum may be able to give me.

Reply #1
Windows XP has a version number of "5.1" , and if it has Service Pack 3 it will have a build number of "2600" .

If your OS is WinXP SP3 and you go to Command Prompt and type "VER" , it will return "Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]"

If your OS is WinXP SP3 and you go to the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"
under this key, the reg value "CurrentVersion" will have value data "5.1"
under this key, the reg value "CurrentBuildNumber" will have value data of "2600"
under this key, the reg value "CSDVersion" will have value data of "Service Pack 3"

Does your system have all of the above?
I presume that foobar2000 installer checks one of those registry values.

Reply #2
The installer uses proper GetVersionEx function to get the running operating system. Forcing the installer to run in compatibility mode for some other OS will make this function return the simulated OS information.