Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 700mb 80min Cd's For Cda (Read 6376 times) previous topic - next topic

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

I'm sure I read somewhere that 80min discs lose samples or something of the sort, is this true, can anyone explain?.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #1
IMHO I dont think there are any lost samples, its more like the spiral which the CD-R is burnt is more tighter more than anything else, hence giving you more space.

Pio2001 and other knowledgable people maybe have more information.
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #3
MTRH: Why is Audio CD inferior? 

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #4
AudioCD is such an inferior format as it is, why care?
Don't trust a disc

A little off-topic but for a format first introduced in 1979  I think it's amazing.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #5
MTRH: Why is Audio CD inferior? 

I'm guessing error correction?.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #6
pick up a disc and look at it...
think about the position of the datalayer, think about the error redundancy...
when were the specs written?
There's so much to improve, about everything...
and yet they cost you so much. think about a music CD you buy.

20USD for a CD, what happens if you happen to scratch the topside of the CD?

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #7
Oh yeah that sucks don't it! The top layer is as fragile as the bottom layer!

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #9
Don't trust a disc

I'd love to know what you think about vinyl records... 

Edit -- I've heard that the highest fidelity format is 15ips reel to reel tape... obviously a debatable point with digital around, it's only hear-say.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #10
pick up a disc and look at it...
think about the position of the datalayer, think about the error redundancy...
when were the specs written?
There's so much to improve, about everything...
and yet they cost you so much. think about a music CD you buy.

20USD for a CD, what happens if you happen to scratch the topside of the CD?

I think you pay for the music more than the format just look at CD-R= 50c - $1.50
If there where any systems to stop scratches it would mean more $$ which is dumb because if you really can't take care of your CD's & want protection you can purchase it separately also it's just as important to get the music as widely spread as possible this means it has to be compatible nothing more compatible than CDA.
CDA has all the elements,

*Features/easy of use

*Audio Quality

*Compatibility

* Low Ca$h to produce

So far there's no better format, If you don’t like the $$$ blame the RIAA.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #11
Dvd
Made in Portugal

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #12
Dvd

How is DVD better? I can tell way i think it's not,

*Debatable topic but audio quality is (close to)undistinguishable from CDA (could use superCD)

*Compatibility is lower

*Cost more to produce

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #13
What's the good alternative? Do you know?
Made in Portugal

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #14
Don't trust a disc

I'd love to know what you think about vinyl records... 

Edit -- I've heard that the highest fidelity format is 15ips reel to reel tape... obviously a debatable point with digital around, it's only hear-say.

vinyl is cute, not as fragile as CDs either, but not an option for me as I want higher quality
yes that tape is the best according to frequecy, but has other flaws
it's like tubeamps vs. transistoramps

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #15
vinyl is cute, not as fragile as CDs either, but not an option for me as I want higher quality
yes that tape is the best according to frequecy, but has other flaws
it's like tubeamps vs. transistoramps

Vinyl is a fun hobby, but it's a money-burner even at the low end.  I imagine the quality anyone would want can be had... at a price.  Not to mention the various inconveniences.  The records themselves can be cheap though, and they are infact quite durable (you're right).

I can only imagine the flaws of 15ips reel to reel (not including having two big, fat reels of tape to store for every album.. ARRGH).

Cheers,

fewtch

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #16
I also have this weird undescribable love for vinyls... but they're so expensive.. atleast the ones I'm after
and the quality I get with a CD that's pricewize slightly beneath the vinyl makes me skip it

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #17
I also have this weird undescribable love for vinyls... but they're so expensive

Yup that's the same reason why i don't buy them
Made in Portugal

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #18
What about Mini Discs?
I just love the idea of a CD protected from scratches, like a nice diskette or something. I think they should have done it like this from the beginning with CDs. Don't know how much more expensive it is, but i bet not much at all.
It could have saved ENDLESS heartaches for people who had their CDs scratched ..

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #19
I also have this weird undescribable love for vinyls... but they're so expensive.. atleast the ones I'm after
and the quality I get with a CD that's pricewize slightly beneath the vinyl makes me skip it

It took me awhile, but I finally have a turntable/cartridge where the hiss from the master tapes is usually louder than any rumble or resonances coming from the table.  It was really a matter of luck that I came by this setup pretty cheap tho.

Depends on musical taste... the thing I like about vinyl is there's so much stuff that was never released on CD (probably at least 5 times the number of stuff that did make it to CD).  But it takes a broad musical interest (& lots of time flipping thru stuff at used record stores).  Buying new stuff on vinyl would definitely be expensive.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #20
Caddy's were a form of protection, but they were out of fashion when CD-ROMs became mass market.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #21
I'm sure I read somewhere that 80min discs lose samples or something of the sort, is this true, can anyone explain?.

This is wrong.

With a Yamaha 6416S burner, I had sometimes one or two wrong samples in a burned CD.

Now with the Yamaha CRW3200 EWK, the data burned is exactly identical, sample for sample, bit for bit (after offset correction) to the original wav files.

And I always use 80 min CDRs.

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #22
What about Mini Discs?

AFAIK Mini Discs are lossy

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #23
Lossy? I thought they're only lossy if you use the compression method, like, there's a non lossy option and lossy option. I suppose i was wrong, really never checked details about MD's...

700mb 80min Cd's For Cda

Reply #24
With minidisc, you've got the choice between lossy (stereo), very lossy (LP2), and very very lossy (LP4).