Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Computer noise driving me mad (Read 19497 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer noise driving me mad

Reply #50
From experience, I know that Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung and IBM/Hitachi all allow you to activate AAM for their drives.  I know it's on by default on the Samsungs.  I've never noticed a real world performance hit.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332250"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not correct I have large quantity of Samsung 160 GByte SATA Spinpoints. All of them had AAM disabled. I had to enable them manually.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332549"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm, it was on for both Samsung's that I own out of the box.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how does one test this?  i've never even thought to check!  i have a brand new unopened spinpoint i'd like to check

Reply #51
Thanks for your input!

I bought 2 x 200GB Samsung Spinpoints and am very pleased with the noise levels. Much more quite than my previous Maxtor hard drives.

I also bought the Nexus CPU-fan with which I'm not so comfortable. It's surprisingly noisy.  I might buy the Zalman Fanmate1 to reduce the speed (I'm not having problems with overheating).

Reply #52
I have 4x 120mm fans running, in my antec p180, it was costly, but its really quiet, its a good buy (installing is not...for lack of a better word...fun) I like because I can sleep with it on and almost never hear it. 

The loudest thing in most computers is moving air, if you want a quiet case I'd recommend cutting off fan grills, since you hear the air being pushed through the little holes.

Reply #53
Could you tell us more about installing Windows on a compact flash? I believed one should use a ramdisk to boot an OS from a compact flash to avoid repeated writes on the compact flash device since the number of writes is limited on such device. While this is well documented for Linux, I have never found a solution for Windows.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, i have never done that route myself, i have built a fanless sytem but it ran Linux, and i didn't use the CF method, i net booted from my server.

This article [a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050909/usb-stick-windows-12.html]HERE[/url]

seems to do the trick though.

start of article found HERE

Kristian
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332324"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks! This seems to also give an answer to the usual Windows shrinking issue... I now have to find a fast USB key.

Reply #54
I have 4x 120mm fans running, in my antec p180, it was costly, but its really quiet, its a good buy (installing is not...for lack of a better word...fun) I like because I can sleep with it on and almost never hear it. 

The loudest thing in most computers is moving air, if you want a quiet case I'd recommend cutting off fan grills, since you hear the air being pushed through the little holes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332678"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's sort of what I did in my computer. I have 4x 120mm fans, 1x 96mm fan, and 2x 80mm fans. The fastest one (CPU, 96mm) goes at 600rpm full load, the others are too slow to measure with my motherboard (they all report 0...)

By far the loudest thing in my computer is my 2 Raptor hard drives, and thanks to a few rubber standoffs they are only noticable while seeking.

Using 2 big fans with lower voltages will put out the same amount of air as one little one, and will be much quieter (and probably last longer, too!)

BTW: is your CPU fan 120mm too?
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Reply #55
Good advice, for the most part. A solid case also makes a handy chair when you need one.

Although people look sometimes kinda weird at me when I told them few times that, when there was nothing better nearby at the moment, I sat at the case and...nothing happened

By far the loudest thing in my computer is my 2 Raptor hard drives, and thanks to a few rubber standoffs they are only noticable while seeking.

Using 2 big fans with lower voltages will put out the same amount of air as one little one, and will be much quieter (and probably last longer, too!)

BTW: is your CPU fan 120mm too?

Interesting Omion...you want to say that Raptors don't emit audible sound of spinning? (I assumed they do up to this point...) I might get interested in them in such case...

Reply #56
I recently bought a good soundcard (ST audio DSP24 value) and hooked it digitally to Sony MD-player for decent DA-conversion. I use the player's amp to drive my open Sennheiser 570's... the sound quality is really impressive  

But,

My computer was giving me pains by being soo loud (hums, chirps and the usual) - with otherwise good system I came acutely aware of the noise. It drove me to buy Nexus Breeze case. I wasn't satisfied at all until I noticed the case indeed was almost noiseless - it was the cpu-fan and hard drives that were noisy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331929"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My actual PC was too noisy until 1-2 months ago. Now it seems to be quieter, but I wonder if it's my ears that got accustomed or the fans that now are really quieter louder thanks to usury...
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #57

Interesting Omion...you want to say that Raptors don't emit audible sound of spinning? (I assumed they do up to this point...) I might get interested in them in such case...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=334883"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for the delay. I completely missed the notification e-mail.

Unfortunately, the drives are not as quiet as I made them seem...
The drives' spinning is audible in a quiet room, but I'm not bothered by it at all. I don't notice it unless I think of it. [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](*)[/span]
The seeking is always audible, and can get really annoying if I'm trying to do 3 IO-heavy things at once. The solution: don't do 3 IO-heavy things at once! 

Also, this was after I used the rubber standoffs. Before then, the 36GB rattled like crazy, all the time. I didn't try the 72GB one without dampening (I was ready for it  ), but it's probably as bad.

All in all, if you're looking for a quiet computer, don't go with the Raptors. I was looking for performance above all else, but I tried to make it quiet as well.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](*) Also, my computer is on the floor. On the desk it would probably be bothersome.[/span]
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2