Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Commercial cinema vs home cinema (Read 13279 times) previous topic - next topic

Commercial cinema vs home cinema

Reply #25
Thank you very much for replying.Yes there are a number of private enterprises here and they specialize in building a dedicated home theater room,with projector, sound system, cinema chairs, acoustics and overall room automation.I have already installed about 36 acoustic foams,and two pairs of bass traps in my room which is about 200 sq feet.Yes and as i have already stated that it is producing an excellent and immersive cinema sound as well as good music through my music system.However still it is not exactly the same as a movie theater or a high end speaker brand like B and W.I have observed that there is something different about the commercial theater audio system sound which even a few high end speaker models cant deliver.I cant express this difference in words.Pro audio technology claims that they are the only brand in the world which can deliver this result.Has anyone here heard these speakers?

It is well known to be difficult or impossible to change the total perceptual character of a room.  Big rooms are always going to sound like big rooms, and small rooms are always going to sound like small rooms. 

You could turn your room into an anechoic chamber and then add technology with sonic performance to suit your current perceived needs.

I agree with DVDDoug. Everybody who builds speakers feeds from a common trough - the current technological best practices. They are pretty well known. There appear to be no secret Holy Grails.  Nobody has a monopoly on building good speakers. Nobody builds perfect speakers.

Audible differences in speaker sound quality are based on (and in this order)

(1) On axis frequency response.

(2) Off axis frequency response.

(3) Nonlinear distortion versus loudness.

Usually (1) and (2) are obtained in a single unit and are therefore tightly coupled together. Actually, ditto for (3).

The *optimal* combination of (1) and (2) for any room are based on the acoustics of that room. As far as (3) Goes, this is an area where the more the better to a pretty high level of diminishing returns.

Reply #26
It is well known to be difficult or impossible to change the total perceptual character of a room.  Big rooms are always going to sound like big rooms, and small rooms are always going to sound like small rooms. 

You could turn your room into an anechoic chamber and then add technology with sonic performance to suit your current perceived needs.

What about a liberal use of diffusers?

Reply #27

Reflection, absorption, and diffusion are independent acoustical properties of objects.

They are non-interchangable in the final analysis.

They are basically the three different acoustical flavors that you have available to mix your preferred room acoustic with.

Reply #28

Reflection, absorption, and diffusion are independent acoustical properties of objects.

They are non-interchangable in the final analysis.

They are basically the three different acoustical flavors that you have available to mix your preferred room acoustic with.

Right... I'm just wondering if more diffusion instead of absorption could create a larger-sounding space.  Obviously, it wouldn't add actual reverb without DSP, as you mentioned.

Reply #29
Right... I'm just wondering if more diffusion instead of absorption could create a larger-sounding space.
I have no idea if it would sound slightly bigger but diffusion is not going to make your living room sound like a movie theater or concert hall.    An anechoic space will simulate an infinite space (like outdoors).

As Arny suggested, you can make your space anechoic and then add delay and reverb from multiple directions to simulate the reflections of a large space.

Reply #30
Right... I'm just wondering if more diffusion instead of absorption could create a larger-sounding space.  Obviously, it wouldn't add actual reverb without DSP, as you mentioned.

IME diffusion decreases the audibility of reflections it might be designed to address, which usually has the opposite effect. There may be a shift to greater detail and intimacy.