Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: rarewares serving up viruses (Read 3654 times) previous topic - next topic

rarewares serving up viruses

Hi guys, since I have no idea where else to post this -- well, here goes.

On a non-Windows machine (or if Windows, use Firefox with NoScript etc) try downloading the oggenc binaries listed in the Oggenc section. The redirect to dancer will shuttle you over to a sweepstakes/virus/spam site which Firefox and Chromium will block automatically.

If anybody knows the admins of rarewares.org please pass along this info. In the meantime I'll just content myself with mp3 for my Sansa instead

Reply #1
Hi guys, since I have no idea where else to post this -- well, here goes.

On a non-Windows machine (or if Windows, use Firefox with NoScript etc) try downloading the oggenc binaries listed in the Oggenc section. The redirect to dancer will shuttle you over to a sweepstakes/virus/spam site which Firefox and Chromium will block automatically.

If anybody knows the admins of rarewares.org please pass along this info. In the meantime I'll just content myself with mp3 for my Sansa instead

We are in the process of eliminating this problem and it should be completed within the next couple of days. I'll post here when it's resolved.

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Reply #2
I believe you will find that this has now been resolved. However, if anyone does experience anything similar in the future, please let us know immediately.

TIA.