Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

'Remastering' of an old cassette recording, But what is the distortion effect called?
post Jun 26 2008, 11:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Posts: 23
Joined: 14-September 07
From: Derby
Member No.: 47050

I have several old recordings - originally from cassette - that I'd like to try and improve. Or 'remaster' tongue.gif

Anyway - there's one particular distortion effect that I want to try and correct, but I'm not entirely sure what it's called, so unsure which tools to search for. I think it might be wow & flutter, but the research I've done so far would suggest that wow & flutter involves periodic change in pitch of the audio (due to periodic variations in speed of the cassette).

The effect that I want to correct for is certainly periodic and obviously has a frequency, but it doesn't sound like the music is speeding/slowing. Instead, the music sounds like it's periodically getting slightly muffled then slightly clearer, slightly muffled then slightly clearer, slightly muffled then slightly clearer. Perhaps this actually is wow & flutter (?)

Can anyone help me identify this distortion so I know what tools I'm looking for to see if I can make it any better.

I currently use Audacity, so any sort of plugin for that would be interesting. Of if anyone can suggest other tools that I may be able to download/buy for the purpose, that would also be of interest.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2015 - 07:18