Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Popularity rating (Read 4321 times) previous topic - next topic

Popularity rating

My music collection has grown excessively recently because I've been buying a lot of cheap 2nd hand CD's and stores many albums including many songs that has not gained popularity. That means that when I shuffle all my music, most of it might be crap, when I actually want to listen to popular tunes.

So, the solution is to generate a "popularity rating" value automatically from some official sources. last.fm could be an option - F.ex. store the number of plays in tags, but this will only work for tracks that are popular in all countries - Say, in Denmark we have some tophits, they would never reach a high rating from this value. I haven't really figured out how I could solve that problem yet (although it would be great if a track could be associated with some chart)

Edit: Maybe the rating could be raised if a tag described the origin of an artist.

Any ideas/links/etc?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Popularity rating

Reply #1
There's a component called foo_scrobblecharts that can generate playlists based on an artist's most popular songs and/or similar artists. This may help you find good songs to listen to whenever you find at least one artist or song that you like.

The component, however, doesn't seem to have seen much development for a while though.

Hope this helps
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Popularity rating

Reply #2
There's a component called foo_scrobblecharts that can generate playlists based on an artist's most popular songs and/or similar artists. This may help you find good songs to listen to whenever you find at least one artist or song that you like.

The component, however, doesn't seem to have seen much development for a while though.

Hope this helps

I know that component. It's quite nice I think, but it's not really accomplishing anything near of what I want. I think it could be cool to see how many plays (over 6 month) a song has got on last.fm, or if it once hit some charts (a little information is available on wikipedia). This way you could also easily see if an album is very popular or just a single song (even one-hit-wonders).

People often think that I listen to some weird songs, and I also find that my preferences is not always very common. By looking at the number of plays, songs in my library has got, it would be easier to create a playlist that suits better if I create a playlist for a party or something.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P