WinMP3Packer Beta released, GUI front-end for mp3packer.pl script
WinMP3Packer Beta released, GUI front-end for mp3packer.pl script
Jan 21 2006, 11:08
Joined: 29-December 05
Member No.: 26730
Some of you may have seen or used Omion's 'mp3packer' tool in this thread.
To make it a bit more user friendly, I've created a GUI for it:
Download Windows Installer version
A plain zip file without installer is also available.
Note: You will need the .NET Framework 1.1 redistributable which is available from here.
Reasons why you might want to use this tool:
. Reduce the size of high bitrate CBR files, turning them into VBR files. (This is the original idea of mp3packer)
. Take a Variable Bitrate (VBR) MP3 file and convert it into a Constant Bitrate (CBR) MP3 file. WinMP3Packer does this by finding a CBR bitrate that the VBR file will fit into.
This is useful if you want to play the audio on hardware players that do not support VBR files properly (e.g. Pioneer DJ equipment, CDJ-200)
. Strip headers from the start and/or end of the files.
Features in this version:
. Allows for batch processing - multiple files and folders may be selected.
. Allows for processing whole folders. Will also recurse into the sub-folders and process the files in there.
. When processing whole folders, the option 'Recreate sub-folders' will put the output files into the same sort of directory structure as the input files.
Let me know how it goes! There's no doco for this thing ... so if you have any questions just send me a PM.
1.0.13 (22 Oct 2006)
- Includes new version 1.13 of mp3packer.exe
- Improved refresh rate of progress dialog when processing files.
- New option to 'Copy unprocessed MP3s' when using a custom output folder. This option will ensure all the input MP3s end up in the output folder regardless of whether they require processing or not.
- Fixed bug where the settings portion of the screen was not being disabled while processing.
- New option to 'Super-squeeze files' which sends option '-z' to mp3packer.exe
- New option to use an 'Alternate broken frame behaviour' which sends option '-w'
- New checkbox for input type 'All' which basically just checks the CBR and VBR checkboxes. This is just for GUI niceness and no other reason.
- New checkbox to enable/disable the 'Append text to filenames' option.
- When the 'Overwrite existing files' checkbox is enabled and the program has the same input/output filename for an operation, the existing file will be replaced by the newly processed file. The enable this behaviour, untick the 'Append text to filenames' option and set the 'Output folder' to 'Same as input'. This comes with a warning though: The original files will be replaced!
- The installation package now contains some example profile settings. These include the default settings and profiles to convert to CBR or VBR (these will overwrite the original mp3 files). The settings are stored in WinMP3Packer-config.xml. A copy of the new settings is available in WinMP3Packer-config-default.xml.
1.0.4 (15 Jul 2006)
- Includes new version 1.04 of mp3packer.exe
- Settings get saved into the file WinMP3Packer-config.xml in the same directory as the program. You can save different 'profiles' of settings which are all stored in the same file.
- Drag-and-Drop of files and folders into the processing list from Windows Explorer now works.
1.0.3 (10 Jun 2006)
- Includes new version 1.03 of mp3packer.exe
- Individual progress bar for each file is back.
- New 'About mp3packer' dialog accessible from clicking the 'mp3packer' version the status bar. This dialog will show the contents of mp3packer.html and also allows for the upgrading of the mp3packer.exe program.
- Removed the 'Delete original' files option as it didn't seem to work anyway.
1.0 (22 Apr 2006)
- New version based on the mp3packer.exe program. Perl is no longer required. Much faster.
- Created .msi installer package
- Removal of the individual progress bar for updating files for now.
0.4.1 beta (16 Feb 2006)
- Updated bundled mp3packer.pl to version 0.10 (bug-fixes).
- No changes to the front-end program itself.
0.4 beta (04 Feb 2006)
- Support for mp3packer.pl 0.09 (included in package).
- Multiple attempts at converting VBR->CBR are no longer necessary, thanks to the new switch, '-i' (thanks Omion). As a result, the 'attempts' field has been removed.
- Removed the 'Only for VBR input' option which was causing confusion.
- New options to filter out the input files depending on their type.
'Automatic' (the default) will convert only the files that need processing.
. When converting *to* VBR, only CBR files will be processed.
. When converting *to* CBR, only VBR files will be processed.
If you want all mp3 files to be processed no matter what, untick the 'Automatic' option and tick the CBR/VBR checkboxes as appropriate.
. Message box prompt when processing is complete, informing you of how many files were processed, skipped, or had errors.
0.3 beta (26 Jan 2006)
- Support for mp3packer.pl 0.08 (included in package).
- Support for multiple attempts at making CBR files. Will now loop from the average bitrate of the VBR file up to the largest packet size of the VBR file. e.g. 201kbps file may now be a 256kbps CBR file instead of a 320kbps CBR file. To revert to the old behaviour, set 'Attempts' to '2'.
- File list window now has icons, and will show you the bitrate and VBR/CBR type of the input files. There is no information available on the files within folders (... yet)
- Status window will show % complete in its title bar. Handy for when you are running it in the background.
- New option 'Only for VBR input' when in CBR mode. This is on be default. It means that if the input file is CBR, the output file will be CBR with the same bitrate.
0.2 beta (22 Jan 2006)
- Fix bug where output was not being captured properly - app was not determining VBR files in that case.
- Reduce logging when creating/checking directories.
0.1 beta (21 Jan 2006)
- Initial release
This post has been edited by psyllium: May 7 2007, 07:45
Jun 3 2007, 14:20
Joined: 20-October 04
Member No.: 17750
I have a 32.56 MB, 17min 46secs mix that has been encoded (not be me) with LAME 3.92 to attain a CBR 256kbps file.
Foobar 0.8.3 reports the file:
lame_version = LAME3.92
lame_profile_index = 0
enc_delay = 576
enc_padding = 2112
mp3_accurate_length = yes
bitrate = 256
codec = MP3
channels = 2
samplerate = 44100
mp3_stereo_mode = stereo
47049600 samples @ 44100Hz
(rounded samples : 47049408)
When I load this file into WinMP3Packer the information column shows the bitrate as 96kbps. This is clearly incorrect.
When I run this file through mp3packer using only the -i switch it outputs the following:
MPEG1 layer 3
38.281250 frames per second
34144384 bytes in file (256.016002 kbps)
34142249 bytes in MP3 frames (255.999994 kbps) = current bitrate
261209171 bits of payload data (244.819645 kbps)
32669016 bytes of payload data (244.953632 kbps)
142957 bits wasted from partially-full bytes (0.133987 kbps)
34139400 bytes of MP3 data (255.978632 kbps) = minimum bitrate possible
2849 bytes of padding (0.021362 kbps)
2135 bytes outside MP3 frames (0.016008 kbps)
0 sync errors
Largest frame uses 9740 bits = 1218 bytes = 372.859375 kbps
Smallest bitrate for CBR is 256
Thus, as mp3packer displays the correct bitrate I'm thinking this is a WinMP3Packer issue (although tbh I'm not sure why this would the case since I thought WinMP3Packer would simply display whatever mp3packer reported back).
Thought you might wanna know psyllium.
BTW if I edit the id3 tags in foobar (0.8.3) then WinMP3Packer reports the correct bitrate; it's like the updating of the metadata now allows the correct bitrate to be interpreted correctly.
And WinMP3Packer has no problem in packing the file to make a VBR 250kbps 31.85mb file
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 13th October 2015 - 20:26|