Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software for comparing spectograms (Read 3841 times) previous topic - next topic

Software for comparing spectograms

Do you know any audio software which can automatically compare (diff) two or three audio files and highlight differences? Ideally their spectrograms. When you have longer tracks (30 min) from several sources which differ in some seconds such a tool would be very helpful.

I have got one tip and that is Audacity but one can compare there audio files only manually.

Thank you for tips. I was not able to find anything like this... :-(

Reply #1
If the files aren't identical the spectrogram will usually be different everywhere making this less useful then you're thinking it would be.

Reply #2
I came across a program that would supposedly match audio files. From my understanding it was supposed to be able to pick short sounds out of a longer sound file. The only way I could theorise this was possible is by comparing spectrograms... I suppose LSq analysis on time domain would also work... I think it was meant to be for detectiing things like the radio jingle they play just before announcing the weather. Then you didn't have to listen attentively for 20 minutes through all the ads!

I am currently searching my personal collection of oddities - I saw this thing well over 5 years ago now, back when I was doing audio stuff (maybe it is 10 years?)
No results so far, but if you are interested, I will look a bit harder.

Cheers,
MM.

OK - just found it. It was called "compd5_5.zip". Looking at the readme, it does look as though it does a LSq. It is "Real Time Sound Comparitor, v5.5 from September 25 2000". Apparently it needs a PENTIUM-133 and Sound Blaster. It looks as though it is DOS based.

A quick google indicates the program is at version 8, and will run under windoze (it doesn't say if it is in a DOS box or not). It also now costs $35.

I've personally never used it, although it did appear very interesting, so I downloaded it.

Reply #3
I was not able to find anything like this... :-(

I saw this thing well over 5 years ago now, back when I was doing audio stuff (maybe it is 10 years?)

Apparently it needs a PENTIUM-133 and Sound Blaster. It looks as though it is DOS based.

These rather obsolete programs go to show, in practical terms, how useless they really are.

Nothing better than one's ears to detect quality (or the lack of). That's why TOS8 exists after all.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução