Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Possible file-locking issue when applying ReplayGain to MP3s (Read 1375 times) previous topic - next topic

Possible file-locking issue when applying ReplayGain to MP3s

foobar2000 version: 1.1.10
platform: Win7 Pro 64-bit, 3.1 GHz quad core Intel i5-2400, 4 GB RAM

Sometimes when I apply ReplayGain to a set of files, there seems to be a file locking issue. I get a dialog saying one of the files is in use. This happens unpredictably, only once in a while.

This most recent time it happened, I just dragged an album's worth of MP3s into the playlist, album-gain scanned them, and did an apply of album gain to the selected files. I hadn't played any of them or opened them in other apps or anything. The first file in the set was supposedly in use, so it didn't get changed...at least, the tags weren't changed. I didn't think to check to see if album gain had actually been applied. Anyway, after the initial failure on that one file, I applied RG to it separately, and it was fine, no "file in use" warnings.

To test again, I tried editing the RG data to give them all an album gain of +4. Then I tried applying RG again, but it worked, no warnings. So like I said, it's only happening occasionally.

I'd be happy to help test further, but I don't know what else I can do. I just figured I'd post and make the developers aware of the potential issue.

Reply #1
Just had it happen again, this time with 4 files "in use" out of a set of 12. I rescanned the 4 files and found they hadn't been touched, so it's happening before they even get their global gain fields modified.

Reply #2
Try logging with Process Monitor to see if anything else is accessing the files.

Reply #3
I have the same problems with FLAC-files, appling ReplyGain since V1.1.12 (V1.1.13 has the same error). The scanning is much slower than in V1.1.11. Sometimes it crashes.

V1.1.11 works stable. I downgraded foobar to V1.1.11