Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting files to mpc, whilst retaining tag (Read 3276 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting files to mpc, whilst retaining tag

I have an extensive collection of mp3 albums that I'd like to convert to mpc, and I understand the implications of doing the conversion (quality etc.) Most of my mp3's have clean tags (mostly idv2,) and I would like to be able to convert it to apev2 tags, and put them on the newly encoded mpc's.

Will Foobar2000 (latest) enable me to do so? For instance, could it extract tagz and the filename, place it in a database of tagz, do the conversion, then put the new tags on the new files?

Much thanks in advance

Reply #1
[...] I understand the implications of doing the conversion (quality etc.) [...]

Good that you do, however, why would you do it? There is not a single good reason I can think of for doing it except maybe for testing.

Yes tag retention is possible, however you will have to use kode54's id3v2 plugin (and I hate myself for telling you).

Reply #2
How do I go about using the plugin?

Reply #3
Assuming you have the plugin, all your tags are already in the database from when you loaded the file.  When you go to write MPC files, the tags will get written automagically.

Reply #4
Okay, now that you mention it.. I got a few questions I would like to ask.

Firstly, does the database work transparently? i.e there is no way that you could verify that it works? I noticed in foobar that you could limit the directories in the database config menu. Does this mean that all subdirectories (where most of my music is categorized) will be loaded into the database?

Also, how to I use the album list? When I click on any help button within foobar, all i get is a reference to "Syntax reference for title formatting for version 0.7." Any search on this forum for it gives me no results i.e. brief search request. help?

Reply #5
When you load a file it grabs the data out of tags.  THen if you hit convert that data is used to tag the transcoded file.

noticed in foobar that you could limit the directories in the database config menu. Does this mean that all subdirectories (where most of my music is categorized) will be loaded into the database?

That option is clearly explained in the menu.  I've never used it but judgeing from the description it only restricts which files are permentantly remembered.

i.e there is no way that you could verify that it works?

If its working all the metadata will be in your playlist.  You can also right click and choose "show file info" to see the ID3v2 fields directly.