Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best content for performing listening tests (Read 5066 times) previous topic - next topic

Best content for performing listening tests

HI what is the best music content (genre, style) for performing listening test, in the sense that it does expose possible audio artifacts most reliably ?
And additional question, for listening test is it suitable to apply usual DSP effects (gr.equalizer + limiter). WIth these effects the audio sound "better" for me, but not sure if they don't suppres audio artifacts too.

Reply #1
Any listening test is only valid for that listener/material/codec/listening conditions etc. If you regularly listen with DSP effects then what is most valid for you is testing with your settings. This may make some artifacts less obvious, but others more so.

Different genres cause different issues with different codecs, so again test with what you listen to.

Reply #2
So Am I listenig almost everything except techno and rap. So not sure with which style should I start to come quickest to results.

Reply #3
What is the goal of your test?

Reply #4
The goal is to find some possible weakness on some kind of music (if so) for may chosen codec and encoding profile. For now I have tried a couple of songs whose sound transparent (can not abx) but this is my point: these samples I have chosen may be easy pieces for the codec. So obviously I want to test the codec on songs that will disclose most easily possilbe weakness so that I could change my codec or profile.

Reply #5
I applaud you for taking a scientific approach to selecting a codec, so many people do not. But are you sure you want to do this?

There is a whole training process you can go through to enable you to hear subtle problems, but once you are trained, you have made it more likely that you will hear problems in the future. Personally I worry that I might enjoy my music less in that case.

Storage space is cheap these days, so using a lossless codec is more practical now than it ever used to be. And any of the popular lossy codecs, at higher bit rates, are transparent to nearly everyone nearly all of the time, especially if they have not trained themselves to hear artifacts.

So why worry about it? Choose a recommended codec and settings and enjoy the music.

Reply #6
I second pdq.

The goal is to find some possible weakness on some kind of music (if so) for may chosen codec and encoding profile.

Want to be be more specific?