Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2220159 times) previous topic - next topic

[seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3975
Thanks BPM.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with my iPhone (no errors, but any write operation simply has no effect).

I hope that, if musicmusic releases the source, somebody will update the plugin.

Alessandro

Reply #3976
I hope that, if musicmusic releases the source, somebody will update the plugin.
I'm certainly working on releasing the source code though no promises (yet...)

Reply #3977
OK, finally, here is the source code:

https://github.com/msquared2/ipod_manager

Almost as much code as Columns UI...

(Some of the cryptography code is only provided as a DLL - this is essentially what was MobileDeviceSign.dll a fair while ago.)

Reply #3978
OK, finally, here is the source code:

https://github.com/msquared2/ipod_manager

Almost as much code as Columns UI...

(Some of the cryptography code is only provided as a DLL - this is essentially what was MobileDeviceSign.dll a fair while ago.)

Wow, I hadn't noticed that you were around again, musicmusic! It's good to see you posting again. I was going to post an update here that the source code was posted but was surprised to see that you yourself had done it already.

Well, many thanks for this and for the hard work over the years. I haven't been around here much recently but I'm a big fan of this plugin and of Columns UI too. I hope they'll continue to live on.

Reply #3979
Thanks. It doesn't seem like there is a great deal of interest in the source, unfortunately (judging by the GitHub traffic). Still, it's no longer sitting in a dark corner of my hard drive

Re: [seemingly abandonware] iPod manager

Reply #3980
Hi,

is there a way to set the "remember playback position" for all the items in an iPod playlist instead of one at time?
I have an huge playlist and setting it track for track is infeasible.

Thanks in advance

Reply #3981
I've tried many things, but can't get it working for me.
Did follow the instructions on the homepage with regards to dependencies

FB2K 1.3.9 portable
iPhone 3G 8GB (iOS 4.2.)
iPhone 4 16GB (iOS 7.1.2)
iPad 2 16GB (iOS 9.2.1)
iTunes 12.3.2.35 64bit
Win7ultimate 64bit
foo_dop 0.6.4

even added iPhoneCalc.dll to FB2K's program folder to be sure even though not indicated for the models

Even went as far as completely uninstalling and re-installing iTunes
but it keeps telling me it cannot load iTunesMobileDevice.dll. I'm suspecting it's because I have a 64bit installation... (it's located in Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support and not in Program Files (x86)\.... etc),
but that's just me guessing...

EDIT: Oh, and I also first tried to install the 32bits iTunes after the uninstall but that one flatout refused to run and told me to go get the 64bit installer.

Reply #3982
I've tried many things, but can't get it working for me.
Did follow the instructions on the homepage with regards to dependencies

FB2K 1.3.9 portable
iPhone 3G 8GB (iOS 4.2.)
iPhone 4 16GB (iOS 7.1.2)
iPad 2 16GB (iOS 9.2.1)
iTunes 12.3.2.35 64bit
Win7ultimate 64bit
foo_dop 0.6.4

even added iPhoneCalc.dll to FB2K's program folder to be sure even though not indicated for the models

Even went as far as completely uninstalling and re-installing iTunes
but it keeps telling me it cannot load iTunesMobileDevice.dll. I'm suspecting it's because I have a 64bit installation... (it's located in Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support and not in Program Files (x86)\.... etc),
but that's just me guessing...

EDIT: Oh, and I also first tried to install the 32bits iTunes after the uninstall but that one flatout refused to run and told me to go get the 64bit installer.
You might be able to get it to work with the iPhone 3G 8GB running iOS 4.2, but I'm afraid it is likely to be a battle, and I'm not sure it is worth your time.

But, I believe this is a special hybrid 32-/64-bit version, which might be a good starting point: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1816

Hi,

is there a way to set the "remember playback position" for all the items in an iPod playlist instead of one at time?
I have an huge playlist and setting it track for track is infeasible.

Thanks in advance
You can set the metafield IPOD_REMEMBER_PLAYBACK_POSITION to 1 directly on the tracks on the device, and do a 'Rewrite database'. Or, if you use sync, you should do it on the source files and resync, but they will be recopied as a result.

Reply #3983
.... snipped ....
You might be able to get it to work with the iPhone 3G 8GB running iOS 4.2, but I'm afraid it is likely to be a battle, and I'm not sure it is worth your time.

But, I believe this is a special hybrid 32-/64-bit version, which might be a good starting point: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1816
Thanks for that link. Sadly it didn't solve the issue completely. It now could find the needed libraries but still failed on a missing function

"Failed to locate function AMDeviceNotificationGetThreadHandle"

Ah well, back to the old, cumbersome method... :) thanks just the same. wouldn't have found out about that installer myself.

Reply #3984
No problem. That particular problem was fixed, but I never released an updated version of the component. I could at least put out an updated build, but I don't know what other problems there may be.

Reply #3985
No problem. That particular problem was fixed, but I never released an updated version of the component. I could at least put out an updated build, but I don't know what other problems there may be.
Just noticed the updated version :D The message is gone and it now successfully recognizes my iPhone :D

WOW, This is GRREAT! No more hassle with linking files into iTunes.... just directly to the iPhone. Cool!

Haven't found any issues yet. At least no fatal ones.

Everything looks ok but there's one thing I am not sure of. There's a part for tag mappings. For me this is currently blank except two or so entries. The playlist shows all audio files found neatly, but the filenames of the songs in the music library show with large numbers for names. Podcasts and ringtones, etc show fine. It may be that this is because the songs (U2 Album) got added from iTunes and it stores that info someplace else instead of tagging the files, but since this is my first time ever getting this to work, I have no idea.

Is this because I forgot to configure something?

EDIT: Oh, just found the Content Manager window. There the U2 album shows correctly.  (plus some files not showing in the playlist)
EDIT2: Also figured out where to locate the files in the File System Explorer and it's the actual filenames they show with in the playlist.
There's also a load of .plist files with similar large numbers as names in the same folder, plus jpeg files (presumably album artwork) but none of them have same name as any of the m4a files...
EDIT3: Ok, first album sent. seemed to go without any issues. But doesn't show up in the music app. They do exist on the iPhone because when I reconnect it and it loads the playlist, they're there. Just not showing in the Music app

Reply #3986
Did you compile it from source?

EDIT3: Ok, first album sent. seemed to go without any issues. But doesn't show up in the music app. They do exist on the iPhone because when I reconnect it and it loads the playlist, they're there. Just not showing in the Music app
That will happen on anything newer than iOS 4.x, I'm afraid. Is this the iPhone 3G or one of your other devices? There is (or was) a not-so-great workaround in that if you did something in iTunes that triggers a database update (e.g. play a song from its music on device view) it would make them show up.

Reply #3987
Did you compile it from source?
Ehm no :D I prefer pre-made binaries :)

Is this the iPhone 3G or one of your other devices? There is (or was) a not-so-great workaround in that if you did something in iTunes that triggers a database update (e.g. play a song from its music on device view) it would make them show up.
It is the iPhone4, but thanks for that titbit of wisdom :) that solved it nicely.
They didn't show up in iTunes either as being on the device but by luck I switched to playlist view and there they were :D
And indeed like you said, just starting to play one song made it update the iPhone to show them too.
Caveat, you do need to play just one song of the added songs each time you send new songs to the iPhone to make that happen. Playing one of the songs already stored on the device in iTunes doesn't make new added ones show.

This is great :D thank you so much for taking the time to update it.

Reply #3988
There is one behaviour about the iPod Classic [7th generation w/160GB] that I do not like. By default [or maybe it's the only way it works], if there is only one album for an artist, when you click on that artist the tracks for that one album are immediately displayed. I would like to see that album name and art displayed first [the way it would be if there was more than one album] and then, of course, I could select that album to see the tracks.

Is there anyway using the foo_dop to change this behaviour? Or, maybe some other MOD?

Reply #3989
Ehm no :D I prefer pre-made binaries :)

[...]
Ah, I was confused as I hadn't released a new build, but it looks like 0.6.9.7 had that change. However, that version may have other problems. I need to install that version of iTunes I linked and have a go myself.

There is one behaviour about the iPod Classic [7th generation w/160GB] that I do not like. By default [or maybe it's the only way it works], if there is only one album for an artist, when you click on that artist the tracks for that one album are immediately displayed. I would like to see that album name and art displayed first [the way it would be if there was more than one album] and then, of course, I could select that album to see the tracks.

Is there anyway using the foo_dop to change this behaviour? Or, maybe some other MOD?
I know the behaviour you speak of, but unfortunately I don't know of any way around it other than (manually) creating fake albums...

Reply #3990
I was afraid of that. Oh, well, it's annoying, but I can live with it.

Reply #3991
Ever since upgrading to Windows 10, foobar2000 locks up after executing the Load Library command in foo_dop. It worked fine in Windows 7. From what I can see running ProcMon, foobar2000 enters a "Not Responding" state after reading metadata_cache.fpl from the iPod (or creating it if it does not exist) and does not try to read any other files from the iPod.

foo_dop version: 0.6.9.6.7 (also occurs in 0.6.9.7; I downgraded to see if it still happened in last "stable" version)
foobar2000 version: 1.3.10
OS version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [10.0.10586]
iPod model: 6G (160GB) running firmware version 2.0.4

I generated a dumpfile, but analyzing it through WinDbg did not reveal anything to me. I have uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/frx56sjrayg7t83/foobar2000.dmp.7z

Reply #3992
Looks a bit odd. The main thread is still somewhere in metadb_io_v2::load_info_async (not supposed to be blocking...)

I can't see anything there to indicate it is I/O-related... but is there anything of interest in Event Viewer under Custom Views/Administrative Events or Windows Logs/System?

Reply #3993
Here's the only entry of relevance I could find:

Code: [Select]
The program foobar2000.exe version 1.3.10.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 4c6c
 Start Time: 01d1941a15171ab5
 Termination Time: 23
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
 Report Id: 614ac269-000d-11e6-9c25-bcaec51ad56f
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

This entry may or may not correspond with the crash coinciding with my dumpfile. I thought I tested it three times, but I only see two such entries in my Events.

Reply #3994
Nothing interesting, then.

I had a closer look at the dump file and the main thread is in some odd PostMessage/Sleep loop in foobar2000 code. It's difficult to work out what's going on since it's outside of iPod manager code. Perhaps @Peter could shed some light.

[edit] Just for reference, I still have an iPod classic lying around, but Load library completes OK here (on Windows 10).

Reply #3995
Had to reinstall windows, and now I can't remember how I got this to work last time. I tried every combination possible. Basically the same setup, except I've got iPod shuffle 4g, but the solution didn't work for me.

I'm posting the steps I took to get my iPod Touch 3G working again with foo_dop after accidentally updating Quicktime (which I never used) thus breaking syncing to my iPod. I had previously been using foo_dop v0.6.8.3 from years back. I do not recall which version of iTunes installer I originally used for AAS and AMDS (probably v9.0 or v9.1).
Anyways, this is how I got my iPod to sync again with foobar2000.

Relevant program versions used:
  • Windows 7 x64
  • iPod Touch 3G, model MC008C (32GB), iOS v4.1
  • foobar2000 v1.1.5
  • foo_dop v0.6.9.7
  • Apple Application Support v2.1.7 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Apple Mobile Device Support x64 v5.1.1.4 (from iTunes 10.6.1 x64 installer)
  • Neither iTunes nor Quicktime installed
  • iPhoneCalc library not nessesary

The iPod buttons just won't show in in foobar, don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?[/quote]

Reply #3996
It may be due to the same thing I ran into, I had to install some kind of hybrid version of iTunes to get it working on a x64 Win7
MusicMusic posted the link to that installer in this post.

Reply #3997
What do you mean by 'The iPod buttons just won't show in in foobar'? By default, the commands are in the File menu and when right-clicking on tracks.

You will probably need the iPod driver from the Apple Mobile Device Support bit of iTunes (but shouldn't need anything else from there).

Reply #3998
It may be due to the same thing I ran into, I had to install some kind of hybrid version of iTunes to get it working on a x64 Win7
MusicMusic posted the link to that installer in this post.

I think that was the first one I tried, but right now I'm sort of lost, don't now even what I've got, so I'll try it and let you know. What's frustrating is that on the old system I had no trouble installing it, it worked instantly. Thanks for your reply.

Reply #3999
What do you mean by 'The iPod buttons just won't show in in foobar'? By default, the commands are in the File menu and when right-clicking on tracks.

You will probably need the iPod driver from the Apple Mobile Device Support bit of iTunes (but shouldn't need anything else from there).
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, the iPod commands are not there. I tried foo_dop-0.6.9.6 and foo_dop-0.6.9.7, and 4 different versions of AppleMobileDeviceSupport64 and AppleApplicationSupport. And several versions of foobar.

EDIT: Oh, and I can see the ipod in windows explorer, I forgot to add.