Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to download all plugins at one shot (Read 3569 times) previous topic - next topic

How to download all plugins at one shot

It would be nice if there a way to download all foobar plugins at once.
I use foobar on multiple computers, and it is annoying to make sure all the plugins I use match up.
Since I have more than enough disk space, I would be fine just installing all the plugins all the time.
However with the way the web page is set up, this is a tedious exercise that has to be done whenever I reformat
which is about every 2-3 months, for each computer.

Currently I use AllMyApps to install all the freeware I use at one shot, however this does not handle foobar plugins!

I can think of several ways this could be done (may not be the best way but hey)

- Offer an installer with all plugins listed on http://www.foobar2000.org/components
- Offer a one click "download all plugins" link on http://www.foobar2000.org/components
- Have a in-foobar plugin manager which shows all the plugins on the components page and allows you to install them directly, similar to what the Notepad++ Plugin Manager does.

Reply #1
I would be fine just installing all the plugins all the time.
Enjoy your pointlessly bloated, shambling mess of an installation.
IOW: This is a bad idea.

I can think of several ways this could be done (may not be the best way but hey)

- Offer an installer with all plugins listed on http://www.foobar2000.org/components
- Offer a one click "download all plugins" link on http://www.foobar2000.org/components
- Have a in-foobar plugin manager which shows all the plugins on the components page and allows you to install them directly, similar to what the Notepad++ Plugin Manager does.
Neither is this, really. Notwithstanding that the official components page, for all its good points, doesn’t list everything – not that every plugin deserves to be featured – anyway: Enabling users to install everything just invites trouble, potentially filling the Support subforum with problems whose cause(s) may be hard to trace and/or complex due to the sheer number of components with which they’ve pointlessly lumbered themselves.

Someone else making/maintaining an archive might not be the worst idea, but offering such a thing officially is just asking for trouble, IMHO. But maybe I’m wrong.

Reply #2
You can back up the user configuration in %APPDATA%\foobar2000 in case of a "normal" installation, or the program directory in case of portable installation, which both include all installed third party components, and their respective configurations.

this is a tedious exercise that has to be done whenever I reformat

What? Why? Did you ever think about using backup images to restore the installation? I feel like solving this problem will in turn solve the problem of foobar2000 not offering an all-in-one-box-installer.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
You can back up the user configuration in %APPDATA%\foobar2000 in case of a "normal" installation, or the program directory in case of portable installation, which both include all installed third party components, and their respective configurations.

this is a tedious exercise that has to be done whenever I reformat

What? Why? Did you ever think about using backup images to restore the installation? I feel like solving this problem will in turn solve the problem of foobar2000 not offering an all-in-one-box-installer.

So when I start with windows 8 developer preview and I want to grab consumer preview how is that image supposed to help me? And they just released release preview...

Furthermore I want my apps and drivers to be updated!
Sure if I had 100 Identical rigs to maintain then the image makes sense but that's not the case here.

Having to backup app data is adding yet another step in the reformatting process.

It will be nice if I could grab the components from within foobar or at least be able to one click download from th components page without clicking into each component page and scrolling down.

Reply #4
Hypothetical feature of the components page: checkboxes besides each component, and a "download selected components" button or link.

Could work.

Reply #5
Use foobar as normal and when it comes time to reformat your computer

simply do this and drop it on a usb flash drive. Reformat the computers and once done, plug in the usb and drop the directory in the proper location. Repeat.  If you update the components regularly up until the point you start reformatting, then you're done.  If not, just go to the components tab within foobar2000 and click "check for updates" (better yet, do so right before you need to reformat, so you can already have the updated files on the flash drive)

Problem solved - and it adds perhaps 10 minutes overall even if you have to do so to several computers.  Reformatting and installing windows is a quite simple task after you've done it a few times, so it really shouldn't be too much of a hassle to do this.

I sure hope you have SSD's or something - reformatting that often is going to be killer on your hard drives' lives.

It's just asking for trouble to put a download all type option within foobar2000 or on the component page - I can't imagine what the tech support section of the forum would become like.