Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any application to synchronize backup with check of audio int (Read 1540 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any application to synchronize backup with check of audio int

Setup: Working drive S: (“source”), backup drive T: (“target”), in Windows lingo. S:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac has been modified since last backup – I have been correcting the metadata.

Now the audio is the same on the backup – except if there is corruption, and obviously I do not want to overwrite my backup with corrupted audio even if I have changed metadata. So I want a piece of software which roughly does as follows:
(1) Notice that the file on S: is newer than the one on T:
(2) Check whether they have the same audio. (If not, skip – I will have a look at those later.)
(3) Only then, copy. Could even be done by merely transferring only metadata from S:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac to T:\ArtistYearAlbum\Track01.flac , not overwriting audio.
((4) Optionally: verify again that the audio matches.)

Ideally I would like to have a library function that keeps track of my files even if they are renamed (shouldn't be hard for a format which is audio-checksummed), but I would be surprised if that exists ... yet.

Is there any application to synchronize backup with check of audio int

Reply #1
While it would probably be possible to make a script to do this for you, the far easier solution is to just do backups that don't overwrite previous versions.  In fact, what you are doing now isn't a true backup, it's just a mirror.  There are lots of programs that can do this for you automatically.  Or even just using shadow copies to keep old versions would work, but it's less reliable.