Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Your Setup (Read 11607 times) previous topic - next topic

Your Setup

Reply #25
from experience:
with icybox and usb2 (comp must have a proper usb2 port) you can get 40 megs/s (buffered). when there is no 'proper' usb2 port (like my old laptop) better use firewire.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Your Setup

Reply #26
My PC's beginning to feel the strain. 

Both Firewire and USB2 are via a PCI card.  My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7DX) only has USB1.

The last few times I've added a PCI card I've had to remove something else.  The last thing I added was a Hauppauge NOVA-T DVB-T card.

My IcyBox has a 300GB Western Digital inside, with my lossless files on.

The only thing "remarkable" about my PC is the FrontX bay which allows me to access my USB2, Firewire, game-port and video-in ports.  The case had no front access and this seemed like a really neat solution to me.  The two USB ports originally plugged into the internal pins on my motherboard (with a little scary rewiring) but now plug in to my USB2 PCI card which came with a dedicated 3" bay thing.
I'm on a horse.

Your Setup

Reply #27
Been out lately, and other clarified what I've meant perfectly, however I'll add one more thing.
USB uses quite a lot of CPU almost "by definition". Firewire and SATA not so.

BTW, does any recent XP Service Pack supplies "universal" drivers for USB2, from Microsoft?

Your Setup

Reply #29
I don't have pictures of my "setup" right now, but I do have a couple of pictures from my current project (hobby).
IRIS Challenge L
IRIS Challenge L 2
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming." --Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Your Setup

Reply #30
i decided not to tidy up for a picture because my desk is never tidied 
click