Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Corrupted MP3 files with bits of other songs (Read 4829 times) previous topic - next topic

Corrupted MP3 files with bits of other songs

I have this very weird thing happening to me. I recently went on and changed all the tags on about 250GB of MP3 albums and now when I play them, I sometimes get bits of other unrelated songs (band names are always close in the folder hierarchy) for a second or two. Unfortunately, my last 2 backups were made after I realised the corruption. Some files were moved but some were not... I used MP3Tag and Windows 7 64bits Pro. This is very frustrating and a big waste of 15 years of MP3 collecting, some that I might never get back.

I tried a couple of MP3 correcting programs but nothing worked. I checked on Google and found a couple of people having the exact same issue.

I will come back to this forum every now and then in the hope of someone finding a way to fix this horrible issue.

Thank you for your valuable input.

Bottom line, keep your CDs and keep buying them!

EDIT : To give you an exemple, I once played in a band called Wicked Star. I digitized all of my band CDs to 320kbps and using MP3Tag I put the right titles, band name, track number and cover art. Then I moved the folders to my "Albums" main folder but not at the same time (some were already there for years). Let's say I play the track #5 of the album Wicked Star 2013, I get somewhere midway into the song then I get a few seconds from track #3 of the album Wicked Star 2004. I work in the computer business and it is very unusual.

Reply #1
You will have to rerip the files from CD.  This is not the kind of thing that software can correct.

Reply #2
I checked on Google and found a couple of people having the exact same issue.
Can you link to those?

I regularly run my whole collection through mp3tag and haven't seen this (yet!).

David.

Reply #3
I have found a solution! I tried it on one file and it worked. The program is called MP3 Diags : http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3diags/

It said my file had multiple streams and multiple errors. I went on a applied some corrections and the added bits were gone.

If it fails on all the other songs I will report back but this unknown program could help a lot of people around.

Thank you for your input guys.

Reply #4
I had a similar problem once (with WAV files).  It was a hard drive problem.  Luckily, I was using a separate drive for audio/video files so nothing else on my system was corrupted.

You might want to look for a computer diagnostics program that can can thoroughly exercise & test your hard drive, or do what I did and just replace the drive.

Like I said, in this case I just replaced the drive without diagnostics/troubleshooting.  But a long time ago, I used a diagnostic tool called TuffTEST.  It's very affordable.  There's a free version but it has limitations, including only testing small hard drives.

Reply #5
It does sound to me like a drive problem.There's no way mp3tag or similar could do this on their own. If you've had drive errors and there have been errors corrected it's a possibility that the file table being fixed meant it pointed at other bits of files.

Run a full disc scan with check disk as soon as possible.