Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [1.2.9] m3u playlists don't support UTF-8 / Unicode filenames (Read 4197 times) previous topic - next topic

[1.2.9] m3u playlists don't support UTF-8 / Unicode filenames

For as long as I can remember, foobar2000 has never supported Unicode filenames in m3u playlists.

Is there a reason m3u playlists are saved in ANSI and not UTF-8?

Reply #1
it's by design. use m3u8 for unicode.

Reply #2
Searching for m3u unicode returns the article on Wikipedia as the first result, whose preview specifies that M3U8 is the Unicode-enabled version of the format. Is there any reason to keep this thread open?

Reply #3
>> Is there a reason m3u playlists are saved in ANSI and not UTF-8?

Looking at the Wikipedia page on M3U, it seems that an M3U file is saved in the Windows-1252 format and not specifically as ANSI.

Looking at the Wikipedia page on Windows-1252, it seems there is quite a variety of text available for insertion into the M3U document.

Question to the OP: is there a particular character or characters not available in Windows-1252 which you must use in your M3U document which made you post this thread?

Reply #4
I seem to remember trying m3u8 before and not getting it to work.  I haven't tried it in years, so I guess that's good to know it actually does work.  You can close this now.

@derty2:
Windows-1252 obviously doesn't support any characters from languages not based on the Latin alphabet.