Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 1.1.11, WASAPI and playback of files with different samplerates (Read 9991 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 1.1.11, WASAPI and playback of files with different samplerates

Hi

I'm using the latest WASAPI output plugin, ATI Radeon HD 5750 HDMI to Denon 1911 Receiver (computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit)

With foobar version 1.1.11 there is no playback when switching to a flac-file with a different samplerate than the previous - e.g. playing a 44.1 kHz flac and selecting a 96 kHz flac. I have to click on the new file several times before the new file will play.
If i use the Direct Sound output the problem goes away. And if I downgrade to foobar version 1.1.10 the problem also goes away, so i suspect that foobar version 1.1.11 does not report a proper output format every time a new file is selected. Maybe this is related to the new cross-fade functionality, that somehow breaks WASAPI output samplerate change?

My solution so far is to stay with version 1.1.10, but I hope that this can be fixed in a future version. :-)

Reply #1
Cross fading is specific to DirectSound output.

Reply #2
I have the same problem with version 1.1.11 and WASAPI but the problem goes away with 1.1.10 + WASAPI.
I use S/PDIF out if that makes any difference.

Reply #3
I thought neither of my Xonar cards (ST & D2X, W7 SP1 x86, Unixonar 1.51) played 88.2 or 176.4KHz files using WASAPI 2.1 due to driver limitations but today using the trial version of a well know media player I found that those frquencies are indeed supported in WASAPI or even WASAPI Event Style by both the cards and the driver. Is there a chance Foobar's WASAPI plugin can be changed so it works with the above combination?

Cheers

Reply #4
I have exactly the same problem with 1.1.11 and WASAPI. If I switch to the next track, with a different samplerate, the track doesn't play.

Reply #5
Does no one else have this problem with Wasapi & 1.1.11? This can't be. 
Will it be fixed in 1.1.12?

Reply #6
I have the same problem. Also, I more often than not hear a distinct "pop" when I switch tracks, no matter what sample rate. Both these problems started in 1.1.11 and only happen with WASAPI.
I run foobar on Vista 32bit on a Xonar Essence STX.

Reply #7
Confirm.
AMD Radeon 6950 HDMI to Denon 1912 Receiver, Win7 SP1 x64

Reply #8
1.1.12 beta1 is out, all testers to the fore

Reply #9
Unfortunately version 1.1.12 beta 2 does not solve the problem. :-(

I have also tested both version 1.1.11 and 1.1.12 on a completely different system with a soundblaster audigy 2 ZS platinum pro sound card, windows 7 x64, WASAPI output, and also here the problem exists, while foobar 1.1.10 works like a charm.

Reply #10
You should report this, it's not assured that the programmers browse all forums.

Reply #11
Same problem here with both 1.11 & 1.12beta + WASAPI. Maybe it's time to integrate WASAPI to foobar as well.
I can play files with different samplerates, but when I try to play the song the first time nothing happens, and if I click it again it will change samplerate and play the song, but I want it to work like in previous releases.

Reply #12
In the meantime, try ASIO if you need to feed bit-perfect data to your external receivers or decoders. If not, just stick to DirectSound. Volume control works nowadays even with the broken ASUS drivers.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #13
In the meantime, try ASIO if you need to feed bit-perfect data to your external receivers or decoders. If not, just stick to DirectSound. Volume control works nowadays even with the broken ASUS drivers.

I don't want to use ASIO because it's very slow with on my DAC. Wasapi works like a charm.

Reply #14
Same problem here on an Audinst HUD USB Dac. I always need two clicks.

Reply #15
Could any developer please say something. So we know that you know the problem, and if it's going to be fixed or not.

Reply #16
Will this ever be fixed?

Reply #17
Problem acknowledged, thanks for reporting. Unfortunately I don't currently have time to deal with it, you'll have to wait till the next major update of the WASAPI component; I cannot promise any timeline right now.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #18
I don't think it is WASAPI-related. I have exactly the same problem with ASIO. Reinstaling v1.1.10 also solved my problem.

Reply #19
I have the same or similar problem switching between and mp3 into a flac multi-channel and also the reverse.  I am using WASAPI with HDMI out on an ACER 1830T.

This really needs fixing Peter.  It makes it impossible to inter-mix different types of tracks on a playlist and live to enjoy it.  :-)

You can fix this very quickly in the main player by actually doing a stop and play at the end of the track - if you detect that the next track is a different type (I am not sure on the sample rate causation - that does not happen to me - If I change types it hangs until I click to play again - maybe I have not tried different sample rates.  Either way that logic could be deployed or possibly its a timing issue.  I would think it is simple enough to reproduce.

Reply #20
This really needs fixing Peter.
Since Peter said that “you'll have to wait till the next major update of the WASAPI component”, have you tried that?

Reply #21
This really needs fixing Peter.
Since Peter said that “you'll have to wait till the next major update of the WASAPI component”, have you tried that?

Now that is what I call QUICK!!!  It works PERFECTLY!!!

That leave me with one question/request - Is there any way of causing a playlist to play only files with a given star rating value - I have huge playlists (2000+) for just a month and I make the better tracks by staring them.  It would be nice to just set a mode in playback to only play songs with x stars set within the playlist (I know how to do a search against the whole media set). 

If its not doable - it would make a great feature.

Reply #22
Finally it's fixed with Wasapi Plugin 3.0 beta 1.