Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Volume... (Read 3609 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume...

I'm getting sick of people telling us how much they want volume control. Hows this:

1) replaygain all of your files so they're all the same volume.

2) use windows mixer or even (get this) the volume knob on your speakers!

This is the spirit of foobar... you might want to use windows mixer

Volume...

Reply #1
1) Who is us?

2) Not everyone does things exactly as you.

3) Volume threads can be ignored by you if they are so painful to view. Just don't click on the topic. Simple, eh?

Volume...

Reply #2
it makes sense to have volume control in a media player....

i'm constantly double-clicking the lower right corner of fb2k to open the preference section with volume control, and adjusting it through there. a very small slide-bar in the main window would make things much easier. even if everything on tv were the same volume, would it make sense to have no volume control on the remote? it'd be a pain to get up and adjust the tv anytime you needed to lower it.

Volume...

Reply #3
Some options you have (as I see it):

*Replaygain you files to minimize your need for changing the volume.
*Download foo_looks plugin and a look with a volume slider.
*Buy active speakers with a volume control.
*Buy an amplifier with a volume control.
*Use the keyboard shortcuts.
*Buy a keyboard with a volume control.
*Use the volume control in Windows (usually an icon in system tray).

I might have forgotten some options, and I guess the other GUI plugin might have a volume slider too. Personally I've got all of the above options already and maybe that's the reason why I don't really need another volume slider. Never used the one in winamp either.

Btw: It's fine with me if a volume slider is included, but I don't think I would use it.

Volume...

Reply #4

i'm constantly double-clicking the lower right corner of fb2k to open the preference section with volume control, and adjusting it through there. a very small slide-bar in the main window would make things much easier. even if everything on tv were the same volume, would it make sense to have no volume control on the remote? it'd be a pain to get up and adjust the tv anytime you needed to lower it.

All your posts request time and again for a volume knob, why not try replaygaining your music and adjusting foobar2000's volume as necessary for different settings/times/reasons*.  You seem to be stuck on one idea, but why not try replaygaining. It's made exactly for people like you (and I).

*this way you don't have to change per song volume.

Volume...

Reply #5

All your posts request time and again for a volume knob, why not try replaygaining your music and adjusting foobar2000's volume as necessary for different settings/times/reasons*.  You seem to be stuck on one idea, but why not try replaygaining. It's made exactly for people like you (and I).

*this way you don't have to change per song volume.

as far as a 'complaint,' it's really the only one i have! but i was only posting this because i read what he said and wanted to explain how it it was to me.

Volume...

Reply #6
how about just using the attenuator and binding global hotkeys to it???

Much easier than to open the foobar window and use a volume knob.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Volume...

Reply #7
Btw: It's fine with me if a volume slider is included, but I don't think I would use it.

It is, in Preferences > Playback. I use it when I'm too lazy to switch my fingers to the keyboard, but that's rare.

Volume...

Reply #8
Volume threads can be ignored by you if they are so painful to view. Just don't click on the topic. Simple, eh?

All the more people should rant in these threads, so they get closed faster. Good idea eh?
The next thing people will clamour for after they get the volume bar on the main window is the instant response of the volume bar (although there is already a plugin for it).

Volume...

Reply #9
Well, I think a graphic volume control at the main GUI would be nice, same as position slider is now. Currently I use keyboard to change volume, but it's not as comfortable.

It's true, I could use my soundcard's graphic volume control, but I find annoying to have to keep another window (soundcard mixer) open just to change volume. Also, the volume steps are rather coarse. Hardware amp volume control? Same as keyboard, it's not very comfortable to use for minute changes.

I don't use replaygain simply because I don't like it. Even if I did, for sure I would change output volume sometimes. I don't like to have an additional,  tiny foo_looks window just for that purpose either.