Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: cue files and wav names (Read 2161 times) previous topic - next topic

cue files and wav names

Hi,

I'm trying to use foobar as a front and convert all my music to lossless format (ape or flac).

Can anybody explain me why some cue's have the "right" file name inside:

This line
: FILE "CDImage.ape" WAVE
corresponds to the right ape file inside the zip

and some other cue's have this format:

:FILE "Other Stuff.wav" WAVE
correspond to a Other Stuff.wav.ape inside the zip

????

Of course on the first example foobar can play the tracks from within the zip file (this is neat!!) and on the second example foobar just produces some errors because it can't find the .wav mentioned inside the cue file

I know that if I edit the .cue file and change the .wav to .wav.ape everything will work, but why does this happens? Why are those cue files like this? Is there any other way of doing it or do I have to edit all the cue files?

Sorry for such a lame question but I'm going to start to convert all my music and I need some help to understand the basic stuff.

Thanks

cue files and wav names

Reply #1
Well, lets start with the fact that .wav and .ape are two different file formats.
.wav is microsoft's standard container for PCM data and is an uncompressed file
.ape is a Monkey's Audio file and is a losslessly compressed audio format.

The FILE line of the .cue probably points to the type of file that was outputted when the CD was ripped (by EAC likely). If since then the file has been compressed into a .ape file, then that would explain why the cuesheet point to the wrong file format.

.wav.ape makes no sense, and is most likely just a .ape file with ".wav" as part of the filename. It was likely renamed the way it is because whoever converted it to .ape probably had no idea what their doing.
elevatorladylevitateme

cue files and wav names

Reply #2
Thanks, I got it.

So in those cases I just have to edit the cue file to point to the correct file name, or even better correct both the filename (removing the .wav.) and everything will be as should be.

I going to start making some tests with EAC and my CD's.

Regards