Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trying to decide on a DAP ~roundup~ (Read 2498 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to decide on a DAP ~roundup~

I'll jump in here since I have been researching portable HD players myself and I must say that there aren't really any rundowns in one place that give user opinions as well as specs.

Just because a player supports wav for instance, doesn't mean it records in wav format. I still haven't pinned down whether or not the Cowon Iaudio M3 records in 320kbs mp3 or has the ability for wav. Anyway....

-Your needs may be different than mine:

-FLAC support or Ogg Vorbis support or both (I guess Apple lossless will suffice but I am not sold on it)

-at least 20GB capacity

-Recording from external mic in wav

-ID3 tag support or better

-A competent interface (the Rio Karma sounds great here for browsing whereas the Iriver devices sound better in that you can drag and drop...just two examples of course)

-95 SNR or better

-actual mic in/mic pre-amp

-monitoring capability of recording & paused recording monitoring of levels etc.

Basically, I am looking for little an all around, high quality audio player/recorder that will support some kind of competent lossless codec. It wouldn't hurt that the company have good support/firmware upgrades.

Or so I thought....the more I read, it seems like I may have to wait.

So, after realizing the Karma is only a player, I looked at the Cowon M3 & M3L but it doesn't support tagging only filename structure which may be do-able since my filenames are correct, but it limits sorting features and organizing etc. The M3 also has an in-line remote and I think it may record only in mp3. It has good sound quality but appears it lacks in a few departments.

Anyone know anything about the Karma 2 features or quality of the 60gb photo Ipods?

I'll have to check what recorder/players Rio offers if any, and also investigate Iriver's sound quality and supported codec list.

DC:thumb:
Sherwood S5000
Sherwood S2000
Numark PPD9000
VPI HW19
JSAirbearingTonearm
Grado Sonata
Grado PH1
Denon DMR800
Denon CDRW1500
Klipsch RF35

Reply #1
bump

Reply #2
Neuros pretty much has your whole list.  Records wav up to 48 khz sample rate.  No flac yet, but the firmware is open source, so it may happen.  Vorbis play (not record)
up to 80 gB, built in mic or line-in (preamp available),  level monitoring ...

Reply #3
Basically, I am looking for little an all around, high quality audio player/recorder that will support some kind of competent lossless codec. It wouldn't hurt that the company have good support/firmware upgrades.

Or so I thought....the more I read, it seems like I may have to wait.

So, after realizing the Karma is only a player, I looked at the Cowon M3 & M3L but it doesn't support tagging only filename structure which may be do-able since my filenames are correct, but it limits sorting features and organizing etc. The M3 also has an in-line remote and I think it may record only in mp3. It has good sound quality but appears it lacks in a few departments.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266716"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The M3 with current firmware supports recording up to 320 kbps MP3 from line-in and FM radio, and 128 kbps from the built in microphone.
I don't really miss the sorting functions on mine, since I just sort A/Artist/Album/##-track and this allows me to find songs pretty fast. I also create playlists for different genres etc.