Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ripping from multiple drives on EAC (Read 7411 times) previous topic - next topic

ripping from multiple drives on EAC

hi all

i've got a large (1000+) CD collection that i'd like/need to rip into MP3s for easier transport, usability, etc.

i'd like to use EAC to do the ripping but i would ideally like to avoid doing one CD at a time. i've got three computers in the house and although two are older models way past their prime, they all have multiple optical drives and are very capable of ripping cds.

is there a way to set up EAC to simultaneously rip from multiple optical drives? ideally i'd use the newest cpu as a server and let the others feed it. if i could get them going at once--even considering they are slower--i'd mostly avoid the most painful part of the ripping process and be able to feed six CDs in one shot. i'd appreciate any ideas on this issue

a

Reply #1
You can set multiple profiles for multiple drives but I don't know how to run them sequentially on auto.  A batch file might work.

Concurrent ripping on the same PC won't work unless you can run multiple instances of EAC.  I've had more that one installation folder but I couldn't get both to run at once.

Hard drive storage is getting pretty cheap these days.  You might consider ripping your collection in a loss-less format like Flac or WavPack for archival and PC playback purposes and transcoding to lossy when the need arises or maybe you change to a newer future lossy codec.  Ripping takes time, lots of time.  Transcoding takes a lot less time.

Reply #2
You can set multiple profiles for multiple drives but I don't know how to run them sequentially on auto.  A batch file might work.

Concurrent ripping on the same PC won't work unless you can run multiple instances of EAC.  I've had more that one installation folder but I couldn't get both to run at once.

Hard drive storage is getting pretty cheap these days.  You might consider ripping your collection in a loss-less format like Flac or WavPack for archival and PC playback purposes and transcoding to lossy when the need arises or maybe you change to a newer future lossy codec.  Ripping takes time, lots of time.  Transcoding takes a lot less time.

thanks for your advice. i've got 2 sessions of EAC going at once (started the program twice from the same installation) on two computers with dual drives and while it takes time, it's working out quite nicely.  seems to be the best option.

a

Reply #3
Consider that while you can run two instances simoltaneoulsy and rip two CD's simoltaneously you will be sharing the CPU resources between the two instances.  The result will not be quicker, at best will be equal and most likely will be slower.  Just a thought.   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #4
Only if the RIP was CPU-bound or I/O bound.  The latter is unlikely.  The former perhaps, but only if using a compression format that eats up CPU.

-brendan

Reply #5
On my dual Xeon rig the main bottle neck is the compression program with my fast drive.  I had 4 cmd windows open at once and ripped an hour long CD in less than 5 minutes.  My slow drive takes over 20 minutes.

Update:  I just tried running two instances of EAC.  It worked just fine.  I had the WavPack profiles for each drive and was ripping two CDs at once.  EAC T&C CRC and AccurateRip said all went well.  It was cool seeing multple cmd windows popping up evey few seconds.

My NEC 3500AG is particularly fast and can rip accurately at over 30x bursts of speed with 20+x average speeds.  AccurateRip said it was accurate and the T&C CRCs agreed most of the time.  This is where I can gain some speed from the NEC and hand the problem CDs to my more accurate (albeit much slower) TSST TS-H352A for individual failed track re-rips.

2nd Update:  After an evening ripping on two drives I've learned that my fast less accurate drive runs best in secure mode, T&C, CRC and AccurateRip.  The second slower drive runs well in burst mode, T&C, CRC and AccurateRip.  The slower drive was running ~ 15-25 in burst mode and the faster drive ~7-15 in secure mode.  Even though the slower more accurate drive ended up running faster, it also was the more accurate drive.  I ended up handing some problem tracks over to it when the other drive couldn't handle them.

Reply #6
On my laptop using the internal drive and a usb drive I can run 2 instances of EAC and both drives will rip all full speed in burst mode without bringing the computer to a crawl

Makes ripping my cd collection quicker, but the compressor queue backs up since the cpu is trying to compress 2 files at a time