Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why have lossy files a peak over 1.0? (Read 3396 times) previous topic - next topic

Why have lossy files a peak over 1.0?

So, out of some kind of curiosity, I had a look at the values for %replaygain_track_peak% in my collection, and it looks like only lossy files have a peak over 1.0. A lot of lossless tracks with 1.0, but not one over. Why is that? Have all of them been loudened or is it some kind of calculation problem due to interpolation used in lossy codecs? And doesn't a peak over 1.0 indicate clipping?

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, I didn't really know what to search for.

Reply #1
Artifacts due to the mathematics of the lossy encoding indeed might cause a decoded signal to have a peak beyond the full scale. And yes, this indicates clipping. A negative replaygain value might eliminate the clipping, though.

Reply #2
I didn't really know what to search for.
google.com: "peak over 1.0" site:hydrogenaudio.org
>>
Replaygain clipping prevention, How does it work?

Additionally, if it's only a little bit over 1.0, it's only a slight error caused by the nature of lossy encoding and it is probably ~0.999 in the original.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.