Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about WMA profiles: BASE / FULL (Read 5155 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about WMA profiles: BASE / FULL

Hi,
as I know there are at least three possible WMA 9 profiles: BASE, FULL and PRO. I'm trying to find some info about differences between BASE profile and FULL profile, without any success. Maybe someone knows where to look for that? Thanks in advance
Regards,
Krzysztof

Reply #1
Hi,
as I know there are at least three possible WMA 9 profiles: BASE, FULL and PRO. I'm trying to find some info about differences between BASE profile and FULL profile, without any success. Maybe someone knows where to look for that? Thanks in advance
Regards,
Krzysztof

WMA does not have profiles in the sense that most other codecs do.  Instead WMA consists of several essentially independent codecs:

WMA Std
WMA Pro
WMA Lossless
WMA Voice

I've never heard of 'Base' or 'Full', but judging from the name they probably refer to WMA Standard.

Reply #2
Actually, WMASTD does have profiles but I've never heard of "BASE, FULL and PRO" in that context.  The allowable audio-only profiles are:

[-profile] <profile code>
    Specifies a predefined profile to use in the session.

a20_1: Profile_AudioOnly_FMRadioMono_28K (20 Kbps)
   a20_2: Profile_AudioOnly_FMRadioStereo_28K (20 Kbps)
   a32: Profile_AudioOnly_Modem_56K (32 Kbps)
   a48: Profile_AudioOnly_NearCDQuality_48K (48 Kbps)
   a64: Profile_AudioOnly_CDQuality_64K (64 Kbps)
   a96: Profile_AudioOnly_CDAudiophileQuality_96K (96 Kbps)
   a128: Profile_AudioOnly_CDAudiophileQuality_128K (128 Kbps)

Descriptions are Microsoft's not mine.

BASE, FULL and PRO may be someone's reference to WMASTD (Standard), WMALSL (Lossless) and WMAPRO (Professional).  In any case if you've decided to encode to WMA, that would be the first choice you'd need to make.  Post back on what is your intended use for the files and you should get some suggestions.

Reply #3
OK, thanks for ensuring. I had some doubts about WMABASE and WMAFULL rather in context of DLNA, but it looks that it's just WMA STD with different bitrates.

Reply #4
I googled around for DLNA, and it looks like the BASE and FULL profiles just refer to the bitrates allowed for streaming to some DLNA devices, I don't think they're WMA specific since some things work with AAC as well.