Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tags And Capitalization Question (Read 17962 times) previous topic - next topic

Tags And Capitalization Question

Reply #25
The problem is exactly the same in French. My granfather, who was a teacher, says that there is no absolute rule about capitals in titles, and that the author is free to choose the convention that suits him/her best.

I hope he used to teach French and not English.

US dude Webster declared in 18??: Capitalize first, last and important words.

My English teacher in 1994 told me to Capitalise first, last and important words.

Reply #26
My personal methods, which have evolved somewhat from my previous posts in this thread (though some of this may be repeating myself), are as follows...

1.  Do featured artists belong as part of the song title, artists name, or maybe under the comments field?  How should it be formatted?

IMO, since a featured artist is still an artist, it should be part of the artist name IMO...

ARTIST=Placebo (feat. David Bowie)
ALBUM=Black Market Music
TITLE=Without You I'm Nothing

Granted, the artist is not correct for the whole album, but I can still navigate by either value (artist name or album name), as the main organization structure for my music is just folder listings anyway...

D:\Music\<artist>\<album>\nn <trackname>.ogg
...or...
D:\Music\Soundtrack\<album>\nn <trackname>.ogg

I sort by primary artist.  In the above example, all tracks are under...
D:\Music\Placebo\Black Market Music\
...even though at least one track has a featured artist, and accordingly has a different artist tag.

2.  How to name bonus tracks?

I generally just show the track title with no special indicator for a bonus track, as it's not really important to me.  If I need to differentiate between different releases of an album, one with bonus tracks and one without, I just go to AMG and look at a track listing (doesn't work for bootlegs, but there are no bonus tracks on bootlegs anyway...the whole album is a "bonus").  However, I will append "(Live)" or "(Remix)" to tracks of those types.

3.  What about hidden or untitled tracks?  If a track is hidden after a long pause do you extract it seperately as another track even though technically it was originally part of another?

For hidden tracks that are actually part of another track after some kind of pause, I just rip the whole thing as one track, as it exists on the CD (in the interest of preserving the original organization of the CD's content).

Hidden tracks that are seperate from other tracks, I rip and name as their own track (if they have a name), as if they weren't hidden at all.  Untitled tracks I simply name with a space, such as...

TRACK=13
TITLE=
FILENAME=13  .ogg

4.  How do you define what goes into what Genre?  I suppose this is more of a personal thing, but how do you decide?  What if something falls into more than one Genre?  What if you only have one disc with a unique genre, do you create a new genre just for it?

Ugh...genres.  There are just to many genres and sub-genres and styles for me to spend the time and effort to try to figure out what belongs in the single GENRE field for a track.  I don't index my music by genre anyway, so ~85% of my music is Rock (though there are myriads of sub-genres), ~10% is Electronica (though some may actually be Techno or House or Trance), ~3% is Classical, ~1% is Folk, and ~1% is Hip-Hop.  If sub-genres were more clearly defined for me, and if I had time to have custom Vorbis comments to reflect the multiple genres much of my music belongs to, then maybe I'd care more about accurate genre classification.  (i.e., is Liz Phair "Rock", or "Indie", or "Pop", or "Folk", or "Lo-Fi"?  I've seen her stuff listed as any one of those.)

5.  What about compilations?  Do you define the original album and year to each track?  An Individual Genre to each track?

I apply only the name of the compilation album and the compilation year to each such track.  The reason is because I find many tracks in compilations to be slightly different from their original instances, whether different mastering or a song length that's off by even one second.  Since many compilation tracks are therefore not perfectly interchangeable with the those on the studio albums they came from, those tracks belong only to the compilation, IMO.  A specific example is Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd.  Those tracks were re-mastered to "flow together" gaplessly within the compilation, and are therefore significantly different at the beginning and end of each track from the studio album versions.

6.  For multi disc sets I pretty much have my own standard.  I don't put the discnumber in the album field because like fileman said it is all the same album.  I keep the original tracknumbers (so if disc 1 has 12 tracks song 5 on disc 2 is still track 5, not 17).  I seperate the filenames so track 1 on disc 1 would be...

What I do with most multi-disc sets (different than your method) is to put all tracks into one directory, and number them as if they were on one disc.  There are a few exceptions in cases where this really shouldn't be done if -1- the discs are released seperately (Guns 'N' Roses Use Your Illusion I & II and Rush Retrospective I & II come to mind), or -2- the discs have "different purposes" (U2 The Best Of 1990-2000 and The B-Sides 1990-2000, as well as Pink Floyd Ummagumma where one disc is live and the other is studio).  But, for instance, I keep The Wall as one album with 26 tracks (numbered accordingly), and The Police Live the same way, like most of my other compilations.  Even box sets I'll do the same with most often.  The Allman Brothers Band Dreams is a 4-disc box set, but I keep it as one album with 55 tracks.  It just easier for me to handle that way I guess (and it's the way I'm used to doing it anyway).

Edit:  Hey...This was my 500th post!

Reply #27
Another revival of this thread   

I have just started ripping my 200+ CD collection and am going with this philosophy: use a lossless format (FLAC for me) and add all the info as tags. This way, when you transcode to a lossy format for mobile, etc. playback, you can name the file anything you wish based on the tags. In fact, the name of the lossless is unimportant and be anything.
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)