Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 16bit vs 24bit (Read 32777 times) previous topic - next topic

16bit vs 24bit

Reply #75
Those in-car numbers look vaguely sensible to me.  I certainly know that in my dad's Seat Terra - a tiny car-derived van with a 1-litre diesel! - we were constantly fiddling with the volume knob on the radio.  The Terra is an extreme case, of course, and many cars are a lot quieter than that, but old small cars are nearly always loud inside.

I'm afraid my Finnish isn't actually very good.  However, hellokeith, you can probably get an understandable result from Google Translate.  They'll probably miss some words, but the context should become clear.

16bit vs 24bit

Reply #76
The very best psychoacoustic experiments aim for 20dBA noise floor.

I couldn't hit it in my own tests, and I had a beautifully insulated anechoic chamber available. It got close until I breathed!

dBA is pretty crude though - what you really want to know is the spectrum of the noise in the listening room. There could be wide ranges of frequencies where the environmental noise is very low, despite a high dBA figure - and the ear would "easily" hear things in this range, down to the hearing threshold.

Cheers,
David.