Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: $300+ headphone cables (Read 3829 times) previous topic - next topic

$300+ headphone cables

While doing bored searches in the Internet, I came across Morrow Audio, a company that makes supposedly high end audio cables.  They make a speaker cable that start at around $150 and top off at $329.

Their justification for the quality of their cables can be seen in this short 2 minute YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUZJZhL7D0

I'm hoping people smarter than me can help point out the snake oil in this video.

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #1
Unless you've heard audio through the Emperor's New Clothes Emperor Double Crown cables you haven't truly reached audio nirvana.

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #2
Unless you've heard audio through the Emperor's New Clothes Emperor Double Crown cables you haven't truly reached audio nirvana.

Wow.  Just wow.

I just read a huge thread on head-fi with people arguing between copper and silver cables.  A gentleman that makes cables for a living was on there arguing tha the 6-8% conductiity increase if you use silver does not equate to any difference in the sound. Others stepped in claiming they could clearly hear a difference.  The guy that made cables ended up, at some point getting banned from the board.

Seems the last thing these people want to hear is someone making sense.

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #3
More red meat for you here:
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=108737

You seem to touch upon a lot of subjects that have been discussed here before in one war or another.  Have you spent much time searching the forum for answers and/or reading subjects here rather than just using this forum as a proxy?

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #4
More red meat for you here:
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=108737

You seem to touch upon a lot of subjects that have been discussed here before in one war or another.  Have you spent much time searching the forum for answers and/or reading subjects here rather than just using this forum as a proxy?

Failing to search is a fault of mine.  I'm trying to get better with searching before posting.  Thanks for putting up with me.

EDIT:  Thanks for the link.  The user that got banned was Steve Eddy, the same user in the thread you linked to.  A very good read.

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #6
I've often wonder at what point does a cable for something like headphones goes from crap to acceptable.  I refuse to believe that $300-$400 cables made of silver make any difference in sound quality vs cables made of copper that cost $10.  Most of the sites I find that talk about cable quality are set up by audiophiles that, even though they are not in the business of selling cable, still make an argument for expensive cables.

$300+ headphone cables

Reply #7
I've often wonder at what point does a cable for something like headphones goes from crap to acceptable.  I refuse to believe that $300-$400 cables made of silver make any difference in sound quality vs cables made of copper that cost $10.  Most of the sites I find that talk about cable quality are set up by audiophiles that, even though they are not in the business of selling cable, still make an argument for expensive cables.

To me, once the basics are covered (ie. transferring a signal at all and having a functional connector), the most important factors are durability and dampening of physical cable noise coupled into the headphones from moving the cable around.

The standard cable on my 10 year old Beyerdynamic DT-231s has stood up to being roughly stuffed into backpacks, and repeated attacks from office chair wheels and door handles yanking the headphones off my head, yet they keep on trucking. The cable is also sufficiently soft and heavy that physical cable noise is minimized. I've noticed that the cable on my newer MMX2s (same headphone, but with a mic) is stiffer and lighter, but the quality still seems high enough.

I fail to see any reason to "upgrade" when the included OEM cable is that good and long-lasting.