Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to achieve this kind of reverb? (Read 9490 times) previous topic - next topic

How to achieve this kind of reverb?

Hi, someone made an album of the first Pokemon generation games with a cool kind of reverb that made the music a lot less clunky than it originally sounds. He didn't release the second gen. with this kind of reverb though so I wanna make one of the second gen. for the TwitchPlaysPokemon timelapses I'm helping create.

I'm unable to reproduce this kind of reverb despite my best effort so I wanted to know if anybody here is able to achieve something close to it?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f2t6ey <-- original ripped straight from game
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ydyi94 <-- reverbed

I'm using Ozone 5 Reverb.

Reply #2
You should be able to fool around with kode54's Programmable Reverb foobar component and make a pretty similar effect. I tried the "resampling/accurate" setting and the "Hall" preset, then increased the wet volume to above 50% in each channel and got something reasonably close.

Reply #3
You should be able to fool around with kode54's Programmable Reverb foobar component and make a pretty similar effect. I tried the "resampling/accurate" setting and the "Hall" preset, then increased the wet volume to above 50% in each channel and got something reasonably close.

Hey I never used foobar before, I have portable version installed. How do I load the reverb component?

Reply #4
Read here the paragraph "How do I install additional components?"

After the component's installation and its adding to the list of active DSPs via File > Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager you can change its settings to your liking by pressing the button Configure selected.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #5
Read here the paragraph "How do I install additional components?"

After the component's installation and its adding to the list of active DSPs via File > Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager you can change its settings to your liking by pressing the button Configure selected.

Uh...
    Step 1: Open the foobar2000 preferences dialog.
    Step 2: Go to the Components page.
    Step 3: Click the “Install…” button and select the component archive, or simply drag it to the list.
    Step 4: Press “OK”, you will be prompted to restart foobar2000 in order to load the newly installed component.

There's no "Install..." button on the components page.

It talks about using versions 1.1 above. Thing I installed from the site was foobar2000_v1.3.2.exe but the application window says foobar2000 v0.9.6

Reply #6
This is the best I could do, can anyone do better? Why does mine sound so metallic? Why can't I get that deep echo effect the first one has?
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/T7i2PVSVdaVIHcHnf5bUqw

One way to remove the "metallic"  sound of reverb, is to apply a low pass filter.
I  see that  Ozone 5 Reverb has an eq built in, play with it.
You might also  experiment with "Voxengo Deconvolver".

Regarding the installation of the reverb component from kode54, you just have to double click on this one.

Reply #7
Do be aware that my programmable reverb component is not meant to be an optimal design for reverb effects. It is designed against a simulation of how a Sony Playstation SPU models reverb effects. The presets are ripped from the PsyQ SDK, and the "resampling" mode downsamples the input to 22050Hz and upsamples the output back to the original rate, similar to how the PS1 downsamples its reverb to half the playback rate of the chip. (The PlayStation 2 uses the same reverb model, but at 48KHz output and 24KHz downsampling, but I didn't go with that one, because I don't have the reverb presets for the PS2.)

Freeverb is probably more of an optimal C model of reverb simulation that you can look at.

Reply #8
Thing I installed from the site was foobar2000_v1.3.2.exe but the application window says foobar2000 v0.9.6

Just for the sake of completeness:

foobar2000_v1.3.2.exe from the official web site installs foobar2000 v1.3.2, the about-window says v1.3.2 and it has the mentioned Install-button.

The component's installation via double-click shouldn't work in my opinion because due to the portable installation the file type 'fb2k-component' should not be registered on the PC, if I am not mistaken.

Reply #9
It's possible more than reverb was done.  With games you might record the actual output from the hardware, or use emulation to do it digitally.  Often there's many options for processing the game's audio programming into an audible waveform. Not to mention the different versions of game boy hardware there are.

Reply #10
Problem was installing portable instead of the regular version. Really wish these software vendors would make their products less misleading. I could've been told the portable version was 0.9.6 or I wouldnt've bothered, or they could've removed the portable option altogether if it's an outdated version within a modern version.

I got it to work now but honestly the hall preset with 50% wet volume sounds way more metallic than my best attempt. That it sounds so crappy has nothing to do with the presence of high frequencies that extrabigmehdi wants me to remove. I did try doing a lowpass and that made it sound even more empty and lacking.

What am I missing here? Obviously I have no idea what the author's real source of the music is. Recording from the output of the .gbs with a winamp plugin (the sample I posted in my first post) sounds a lot different than recording from the emulator which sounds a lot closer to the reverbed album version I'm trying to imitate. I already equalized the frequencies so they match. Why does the studio album reverb sound so rich and natural while every attempt of mine sounds like a metallic mess of shit?

Here's the rip from the VBA with adjusted frequencies, i should've posted it earlier: http://www.sendspace.com/file/magrj6

Reply #11
The portable version is not 0.9.6. The portable version does not install shortcuts anywhere. More likely, you installed a portable version of 1.3.2, then continued to use your system wide installation of 0.9.6.

Reply #12
Problem was installing portable instead of the regular version. Really wish these software vendors would make their products less misleading. I could've been told the portable version was 0.9.6 or I wouldnt've bothered, or they could've removed the portable option altogether if it's an outdated version within a modern version.

The option to install foobar2000 in portable mode was introduced with v0.9.6 but the installer never included two foobar2000.exe versions (one for portable, one for normal installation), let alone two exe files with different version numbers.

Either you simply downloaded the wrong version (namely 0.9.6) or you didn't got it from foobar2000's official web site. In both cases you shouldn't complain here.

EDIT: or what kode54 said.

Reply #13
I did NOT install anything but what clearly said 1.3.2.exe from the official site and this DID install 0.9.6. I've never installed foobar2000 before in my life.

Reply #14
I'm using Ozone 5 Reverb.
Ozone isn't really a reverb plugin, but perhaps you can try these settings as a starting point:

Mode: Hall
Pre-Delay: 82.0
Decay Time: 1.71
Low Decay: 0.62
High Decay: 2.00
Dry Mix: 100%
Wet Mix: 89.8%
Width: 142.9%

It's always personal taste and . . . trial and error

Reply #15
If it isn't a reverb plugin what is it?
Thanks for your settings, it sounds closer than ever now. But now the lower band echo is too loud. It still lacks the depth and richness of the album version but this is almost good enough. My mistake was using Plate which is very metallic compared to Hall.

Reply #16
If it isn't a reverb plugin what is it?
First of all it's a loudness warrior
You are right of course, it can do reverb but it's very basic. Ozone is mostly seen as a mastering tool and reverb doesn't really belong in the domain of mastering.

Reply #17
What do you suggest?

Reply #18
Valhallaroom seems popular, at least at kvr. It's more advanced than ozone reverb, as it perform some modulation, and offer plenty of algorithms. And also, it looks affordable, at least compared to  other like aether, or lexicon.

Reply #19
There are a lot of different programs and plugins to do reverb, and they aren't all equal. But they all have a plethora of settings, so it seems like the best way to achieve an identical reverb would be trial and error across any reverb software you can find. Well, the best way might be to contact whoever released the original, and ask which settings/software were used,  if that's an option.

The only reverb software I've used extensively is the Gverb plugin that comes bundles with Audacity. Listening to your samples, the first thing I would try to do is to lower the "damping" slider which should make it sound less metallic.  In my experience the first 3 sliders in Gverb are the most important,  but you should definitely play around with all of them if you can't get the right sound using the first 3.