Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to know what command line was used with LAME mp3s? (Read 3338 times) previous topic - next topic

How to know what command line was used with LAME mp3s?

Hi,

Is there a utility that will allow me to know what command line was used for each LAME mp3?  I have a diverse collection of mp3's, many of which I can't remember what command line was used.  Is there a way to find out?  If so, please help me out.

mp3

Reply #1
Well, this information isn't stored within most MP3, only Lame encodes. In other encodes it can't be retrieved nor guessed.

Besides, I think only newer versions of Lame store this info.

You can try to use EncSpot to GUESS which encoder was used to encode your MP3s. If it finds a Lame encoded file, it's probable it'll point out the switches used.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #2
Yeah Lame tags have quite a lot of info, which you can look with EncSpot 2.
Of course your MP3s must have been made with pretty new Lame in order to Lame tags to exist.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
Even with the LAME tags and something like Encspot to read them, you have no way of knowing 100% what command line was used.  None of the --alt-preset stuff will show up there for example.  Due to the way the tag is designed, I'd be surprised if this information was ever implemented either.

Reply #4
I think is possible to implement this feature in Lame.
I'm not a developer or programmer, but storing the info
about the encoding settings is viable and many users
would be very happy with this.

At the time of the encoding, Lame shows the choosen
bitrate, mp3 quality, etc...

This valuable info is not saved, but it is very important.

Even with my own encoded mp3s I miss what settings
were used...

Saving this info can be implemented as a optional switch
for the users who wants it(I do)!

My suggestion to Lame developers: Can the "comment" field
at Idv1 tags be used to store the command line and/or encoding parameters?

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #5
In the case of putting it in your id3 comment tag, you can make seperate profiles for EAC (with your favorite common commandlines) and have each profile tell EAC what to put in the comment field which you can just put in the commandline you're using if it's short enough to fit.