Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rarewares 2007 redesign (from Vorbis thread) (Read 42162 times) previous topic - next topic

Rarewares 2007 redesign (from Vorbis thread)

Reply #25
On the other hand you could just put up a cms and be done with it.
The problem is that there is no CMS really targeted at downloads only, most of them focus on textual content and the downloads section is an afterthought. Case in point: the *nuke download interface is a catastrophe, particularly WTR navigation. Mambo/Joomla isn't particularly better.
Agree. However, I found that the DocMan component helps a lot.

Reply #26
Soooo... any target date?

Reply #27
Soooo... any target date?

Any day now. Honest!

I'm already running a new PC (huge thanks to John33) and I am done with the MP3, Vorbis, AAC and Other pages, which were the worst ones. I'm considering scrapping the MP4 page (who cares about MPEG4ip and Osmo4 these days?), so that only leaves in the todo list the Lossless page and the Debian pages, which I must discuss with xmixahlx...

I'm also deleting lots of stuff as I go. (AAC plugin for Sonique 1.9? Sheeeeesh!)

Reply #28
What do you know... the new design is up!

Please play with it and report eventual bugs (dead links, bad anchors, grammar errors...) here.

Reply #29
Nice Roberto. I don't like the colors, but the navigation is much better.

Reply #30
Nice Roberto. I don't like the colors, but the navigation is much better.

Thanks

Yeah, I asked some friends, and several of them didn't like turquoise either. Of course, if several people are displeased with the current colour scheme, we can work on alternatives...

BTW, the original "work in progress" colour schemes we tried are still available. If you guys want to check them out - and maybe suggest new schemes  - just check the different styles (view -> page style on FireFox and view -> style on Opera).

Reply #31

Please play with it and report eventual bugs (dead links, bad anchors, grammar errors...) here.

was previous page static? (this php seems to load 4ever), also previous look was mucho better imho.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #32
was previous page static? (this php seems to load 4ever), also previous look was mucho better imho.

The previous page was static, but the current page isn't particularly dynamic, the php is only there so that we can use include()s on the header, menu and footer. The overhead should be minimal, as there is no real programming code there (other than the inserts) and we don't use databases.

Reply #33
I personally prefer "Blue and Orange"...

... sooo, I think it's time to start a poll on the new Rarewares look, re: the color scheme. Agree, Roberto?

Edit 1: Why is it "Oggenc" but "oggdec" ? (different capitalization)

Edit 2: I know aoTuVb5 is supposed to be better than aoTuVR1, but the HAK article about recommended Ogg Vorbis states that aoTuVb5 is "still undergoing peer review", so the article recommends aoTuVR1 instead. But RW has no oggenc/oggdropXPd based on R1.

Reply #34
Lol, glad to hear everyone is diggin the new colour scheme.

My favourite alternative is probably grey n turquoise.
davidnaylor.org

Reply #35
I personally prefer "Blue and Orange"...

... sooo, I think it's time to start a poll on the new Rarewares look, re: the color scheme. Agree, Roberto?

Yeah, but let's wait and see if some HA members suggest other colour schemes...

Edit 1: Why is it "Oggenc" but "oggdec" ? (different capitalization)

Dunno. Gotta investigate that...

Reply #36
My favourite alternative is probably grey n turquoise.
Naylor, I see that you're most definitely tuned to a totally different frequency than me.

For me (personally), all the "Grey n *" color schemes suck. Makes me wanna pukk

Hehe sorry for the too-illustrative word there

Edit: What about black-background (or any darkee kolours?)

Reply #37
The new design looks great.

I noticed that the AoTuV "Release 1" encoders are not included anymore. Also, b5 has only the general compile available. Are these changes intended?

This is from HA's current wiki page (the links seem to be still working):
Windows binaries

John33's oggenc2.8 is a special version of the Ogg Vorbis encoder. "Features include compression from lossless files (Monkeys Audio, LPAC, FLAC, OptimFROG, WavPack and Shorten - requires presence of decoders), and the ability to specify 'padding' in the headers for subsequent insertion of Tags" (from Ogg Vorbis page at rarewares).
oggenc2.83 aoTuV Release 1 (MSVC compile)
oggenc2.83 aoTuV Release 1 (ICL compile for P3/AMD Athlon)
oggenc2.83 aoTuV Release 1 (ICL compile for P4/AMD Sempron, Athlon 64))

If you prefer a nice drag-and-drop interface, then you can try John33's OggDropXPd (Windows only). "Features include compression from lossless files (Monkey's Audio, LPAC, FLAC and OptimFROG), auto-tagging, renaming of encoded files, setting of advanced encoder parameters, use of VorbisGain tags on decode, Playlist (.m3u) creation, and others" (from Ogg Vorbis page at rarewares).
OggDropXPd v1.8.9 aoTuV Release 1 (MSVC compile)
OggDropXPd v1.8.9 aoTuV Release 1 (ICL compile for P3/AMD Athlon)
OggDropXPd v1.8.9 aoTuV Release 1 (ICL compile for P4/AMD Sempron, Athlon 64)

Note: If the above links do not work, then it is most likely caused by a new version of John33's utilities. In that case, go directly to the Ogg Vorbis page at rarewares

Reply #38
About the aoTuV controversy: I deleted the R1 version after discussing the redesign with John. This is what he told me:

The aoTuVr version was only a beta that was amended to a 'release' under pressure from HA members. So, I would remove the release and keep the b5 as that is the most recent and the 'release' was only really a beta anyway.

I mistakenly omitted the P4 compiles from the redesign, I will reinstate them soon.

Reply #39
@Alex B: Someone complained (in a different thread here in HA, in the Wiki Discussion forum IIRC) that links are borken... um, broken. I delay fixing them until RW redesign is complete. But since, as you point out, some 'essential' links are not (yet) found in RW, I'll delay some more.

<offtopic>
@Naylor: Your review on Cowon D2 makes me drool... hopefully it will be available here in my country
</offtopic>

Edit: I posted mine just as Roberto posted his, so...

... a question: Should we then change the HAK article to recommend beta5?

(feel free to discuss/continue this in the Wiki Discussion forum)

Reply #40
... a question: Should we then change the HAK article to recommend beta5?

It's you guys' call, RareWares symply doesn't follow HA's recommendation guidelines (we stopped recommending lame 3.90.3 much before HA adopted 3.96.1), but we don't mind hosting the recommended files there - they just wouldn't be mentioned at the HTML pages.

Reply #42
I miss the link to the Blacksword lancer oggenc compiles...

Reply #43
Congratulations on the new design, I like it (even the current color scheme) and find it much easier to navigate.

Looking at the logos and designs that appear here on Hydrogenaudio, it seems that we have several talented members that IMHO are better than the ones responsible for the London 2012 Olympics logo: http://main.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyres/66...ogo_390x220.jpg

Reply #44
it seems that we have several talented members that IMHO are better than the ones responsible for the London 2012 Olympics logo: http://main.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyres/66...ogo_390x220.jpg
Don't get me started...

The whole goatse submission incident almost makes up for it though...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #46
I like the new design. I find it classic and modern at the same time. :-)

I have two comments:

1. COLOUR SCHEMES

I don’t like them. I think they are all overcoloured (if there is such a word).

2. MENU, SUBMENUS, PAGES, SUBPAGES

I would prefer the menu to be expanded in tree form by default and all submenus to be visible, like this:

Code: [Select]
MP3
  LAME Bundles
  LameDropXPd
AAC
Debian
  APT How-To Info
  Other Software

Also, when a menu item is clicked, the site could display the contents of all subpages for that menu in one long column. They are not too large, and maybe this is easy to do, since the site uses PHP.

That’s all! :-)

Thanks for Rarewares! and
Thanks to David for the new design! :-)

Reply #47

I actually like better the navigation for AAC, that is categorized by function, like encoders, and decoders, instead of like vorbis, for "product".

Also, i don't like fixed layouts. I have 1400x1050 (or something), and 50% of the screen space is wasted.

All the rest is fine (even the colos)

Reply #48

I actually like better the navigation for AAC, that is categorized by function, like encoders, and decoders, instead of like vorbis, for "product".

Also, i don't like fixed layouts. I have 1400x1050 (or something), and 50% of the screen space is wasted.

All the rest is fine (even the colos)

Well, I doubt you would like to read text with lines 1200+ pixels long. Would get kinda tedious. And using the space in any other way would be tricky. The web simply isn't made for widescreen. Flip the screen round, so you get 1050x1400, that would make a lot more sense.
davidnaylor.org

Reply #49
it's not wide screen, as much as 1024 x 768 is ... is like setting the with for a 640x480 screen, you don't do that.